Skip to main content

Upcoming Shoot: Leather Accessories Model


So I'm pretty excited about one of my upcoming shoots because it is for a really awesome designer out of San Francisco, by the name of Basil Racuk. He specializes in handcrafted leather accessories for men and women. I submitted myself to one of his casting notices online and was immediately chosen for the shoot!

I'll be the only female model shooting with three male models (ah, the perks of the job!). Each of us will have a different theme, which reflects the style and feel of the accessories being shot. I met up with the designer, photographer, potential art director and two of the three male models in San Francisco yesterday to discuss the designer's ideas and concepts.

I'm pretty stoked about his vision for my role. My shoot will ideally be shot in a hotel lobby with a very modern, sleek decor. He wants me to play the character role of the "dominant female in the power business suit." It's supposed to have a very "German, edgy feel" in terms of my expression and poses.

He's even giving us a list of movies to watch so that we can get a better feel for the characters we're supposed to portray (sometimes even models get "homework" haha). I'll be sure to share my list of movies with you when I get them.

Each model with get his/her own solo shoot and then we're ideally going to do scenario shoots involving some or all four of us, which is going to be super fun. I love shooting with other models just as much--I think maybe even more--than doing solo shoots by myself.

There's much more to play off of and you can create such great, dynamic images with more than one person. The shoot is tentatively scheduled for mid February. The final images will be used not only for Basil Racuk's website (www.basilracuk.com), but also packaged for submission to a number of magazines.

Because Basil's work has already been featured in other publications, I have a lot of confidence that our images will be chosen and I will finally receive the almighty tearsheets for my portfolio. Fingers crossed!!!

Here are some images to check out from both the designer and photographer I'll be working with:

Basil Racuk (on the far right--those aren't the 3 models I'll be working with though, darn! lol):



A few press pieces done on Basil's work:





Here are a few samples of the photographer's work. Her name is Kelsey Winterkorn and her work is amazing! I definitely suggest checking out her website (Kelseywinterkorn.com). She specializes in everything from fashion and runway photography to editorial and product photography. She's traveled the world and has only been shooting for one year and is already published in a ridiculous number of magazines! We hit it off instantly and I cannot WAIT to work with her:







I'm definitely excited about this shoot for a number of reasons but I think mostly because it's something outside of the typical commercial/print work that I do, but it isn't work that is completely out of my element or reach. I love doing accessory modeling work and while some clients tend to still prefer the taller girls for shoots where height doesn't even come into play, I think by networking with Basil and Kelsey, I'll be able to start booking more gigs like this and ultimately building my portfolio with more magazine/editorial quality work. I'll be sure to do a post on here after the shoot as well as share the images when I get copies of them!

Comments

Amber said…
Wow Dania - this is amazing news. I am really excited for you and I have no doubt that you will deliver on shoot day :)

This sounds like the shoot will be a lot of fun and you are working with such classy people, the images are sure to be amazing.

Plus, if you get tearsheets out of it too, that is just a huge bonus :)

I am jealous!
Anonymous said…
I have a question-i have been faithfully reading your blog for quite some time and am a big fan. I know previously you had wrote that when you modeled for certain companies you listed you wouldnt do nude, fur, cigarettes and something else i cant quite remember. If you wont do fur, then why is it that you will model with leather? this question is in no way meant to discredit you or look down on your previous decision to model leather accessories (i know the blog is older, i am just now catching up on your older posts that i missed)i was just wondering what stance you have on the connection between the 2. I know some wont model fur because of animal rights and also the use of fur of the dwindling existence of a certain species. If you indeed wont wear fur because of animal rights-then what is the difference between that and leather? I look forward to your response and thanks!
Dania Denise said…
Hey, Anonymous! Thank you for your question. You will find your answer in its own post, titled "Answering a Reader Question #62." Thanks for reading!

Popular posts from this blog

Modeling & Pay Rates: How Much Should You Charge?

(This post is more targeted towards freelance models and not those with agency representation, although it may apply to those that have an agent but continue to find their own work.) A part of being a successful model is making money from the jobs that you book. However, being a freelance model comes with many challenges--figuring out what you should charge is one of them. I will say upfront that there are no established black and white rules when it comes to pay rates. Each modeling job is different, each client is different and budgets vary. Ultimately the factors that should influence what you charge should be the amount of experience you have, the strength of the images in your portfolio and the client's budget/needs. Not every client is going to pay what you want to charge. There may be times when you will be skipped over for charging too much or taken advantage of for charging too little. It's going to happen so be prepared for it and do not take it personally. It

What Are Male Models Supposed to Look Like?

The modeling world is filled with women. That's never been a secret and sadly, that often means male models fall by the wayside. There are successful male models in all categories across the industry but the fact that the modeling business revolves around women can make it challenging for newbies to figure out how to pursue their goals of male modeling. It is important to know that because there are different types of modeling categories out there, that means there are also different types of male models. They aren't all supposed to look alike and what ends up being in demand does change every year. Let's break down the common attributes that come with male modeling in various popular categories, shall we? THE MALE FASHION/RUNWAY/EDITORIAL MODEL These are the typical types of models most of us tend to think of when it comes to men in modeling. What is important to know and understand if you're an aspiring male model is that agencies have all different looks

Modeling and Weight

One of the first things I hear potential models ask is what the weight requirement for modeling is. Sometimes that is the main issue they worry about when it comes to pursuing modeling. Let me tell you right now that weight should NOT be one of those concerns. Obviously, the height requirement reigns supreme when measuring up to the modeling standards sought out by agencies. If you meet the height requirements--whether it's for fashion and runway or commercial/print--that is the first step towards starting on the path to modeling. How much you weigh shouldn't be your biggest fear. It is rare that anyone can look at someone and say, "Oh, my gosh, he/she looks like they are 5 pounds over our weight requirement!" It just isn't realistic. If you look at many modeling agency websites, they clearly list the age and height requirements--rarely, if at all do they list any weight restrictions. The general rule of thumb when it comes to weight is that for models who