Skip to main content

Latest Shoot: 49 Square Miles

I finally got the images back from the online catalog shoot I did about a month or two ago and so I decided to do a post about my experience on that shoot as well as share the photos.

49 Square Miles is a handbag and accessories company based out of San Francisco. They may be small in size but their products are popular, especially among the celebrities--even one of George W. Bush's daughters was photographed sporting one of their handbags. They have retail stores all over the country, which is pretty impressive.

I myself never really got all hyped up about purses or handbags but once I saw their collection, I must say I got pretty giggly with excitement. 49 Square Miles was in need of models to showcase their Fall collection of handbags, leather belts, and accessories and I was one of the lucky people to be chosen. The shoot took place at the home of the founder of the company, who was located only 15 minutes away from where I lived. Regardless of the closeness of the shoot, I still had to be there bright and early at 7am. Ugh. Haha.

I was one of four models total and there was a makeup/hair stylist and one photographer who had an assistant with him. The owner of 49 Square Miles was there as well--it's her house we're shooting in after all! She made sure we had plenty of fresh fruit and bottled water on hand (and we were also served yummy deli sandwiches for lunch) and the wardrobe stylist, who was also one of the employees working for 49 Square Miles, began putting our outfits together while we took turns in the makeup chair.

The weather was perfect and there were a number of locations to shoot. The first location was outdoors in the backyard. Each model took turns shooting solo images with the photographer, Toby Burditt, and then we were paired up or had up to three models in one shot. We were given the latest handbags, necklaces, and wallets to show off. The yellow dress I was put in was nicknamed the "Michelle Obama" so we had fun joking about that.



Then it was on to outfit change number two: a more casual pairing of dark jeans, black pumps, and a maroon top with one of the leather belts and handbags. I was paired with another model and the phone she's holding in the shot actually belongs to the photograher.

We were looking and reacting to the adorable pictures of his kids. Afterwards we switched things up. Tobby Burditt is one of those talented photographers who thinks outside of the box and he came up with this out of the ordinary shot where I sat on a bench while the other model stood on top of it but he only shot her from the waist down. After shooting those locations we moved inside for interior shots.





I changed into a multicolored, slinky dress, secured with another belt, and paired with the same black pumps and a different handbag. It was funny because for each setup, we created a "scenario" to help us get into the mood and elicit certain reactions. They were mostly goofy.

We labeled the first interior shot "The Devil Wears Prada" because the model I shot with looked a lot like the Meryl Streep character from that movie so she played the role of my nightmare boss and I was the lowly--yet fashionable--intern who was forced to sit on the floor and drown out her drunken rants by listening to my Ipod, while my higher than thou boss got to sit in a comfy chair (I eventually got to sit in a chair lol).

To make things more ridiculous they added a drink glass for her to hold and so I came up with the idea that I was at her house party and she was super drunk so I had to watch over her. We couldn't stop laughing after each photo they took.





By the time we got around to one of the last shots, we'd been shooting for over 8 hours so it was a super long day. My last scene also involved another model and because we were pretty tired by this time, we decided to label this scenario "lesbian lovers." I know, we're terrible!

Trust me, after shooting for hours, everyone eventually starts going downhill in the creativity department haha. Wackiness ensued as we shot but at least I got to lie down on the couch. The shoes I was wearing weren't mine and they were two sizes too small so I was grateful I didn't have to be on my feet!



It was a long but very productive shoot and as a bonus we each got a complimentary makeup bag from the upcoming Fall collection (honestly, I couldn't afford any of their products--definitely high end stuff!). The images are supposed to be on the website (http://www.49sqmi.com/) by the end of July or sometime in August. I'm definitely excited to see what images they chose to put up.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Modeling & Pay Rates: How Much Should You Charge?

(This post is more targeted towards freelance models and not those with agency representation, although it may apply to those that have an agent but continue to find their own work.) A part of being a successful model is making money from the jobs that you book. However, being a freelance model comes with many challenges--figuring out what you should charge is one of them. I will say upfront that there are no established black and white rules when it comes to pay rates. Each modeling job is different, each client is different and budgets vary. Ultimately the factors that should influence what you charge should be the amount of experience you have, the strength of the images in your portfolio and the client's budget/needs. Not every client is going to pay what you want to charge. There may be times when you will be skipped over for charging too much or taken advantage of for charging too little. It's going to happen so be prepared for it and do not take it personally. It

Modeling and Weight

One of the first things I hear potential models ask is what the weight requirement for modeling is. Sometimes that is the main issue they worry about when it comes to pursuing modeling. Let me tell you right now that weight should NOT be one of those concerns. Obviously, the height requirement reigns supreme when measuring up to the modeling standards sought out by agencies. If you meet the height requirements--whether it's for fashion and runway or commercial/print--that is the first step towards starting on the path to modeling. How much you weigh shouldn't be your biggest fear. It is rare that anyone can look at someone and say, "Oh, my gosh, he/she looks like they are 5 pounds over our weight requirement!" It just isn't realistic. If you look at many modeling agency websites, they clearly list the age and height requirements--rarely, if at all do they list any weight restrictions. The general rule of thumb when it comes to weight is that for models who

What Are Male Models Supposed to Look Like?

The modeling world is filled with women. That's never been a secret and sadly, that often means male models fall by the wayside. There are successful male models in all categories across the industry but the fact that the modeling business revolves around women can make it challenging for newbies to figure out how to pursue their goals of male modeling. It is important to know that because there are different types of modeling categories out there, that means there are also different types of male models. They aren't all supposed to look alike and what ends up being in demand does change every year. Let's break down the common attributes that come with male modeling in various popular categories, shall we? THE MALE FASHION/RUNWAY/EDITORIAL MODEL These are the typical types of models most of us tend to think of when it comes to men in modeling. What is important to know and understand if you're an aspiring male model is that agencies have all different looks