Skip to main content

It's December!!!

Wow, time really does fly! I hope that your 2010 has been a positive and memorable one...I know it was for me! This month I am focusing on redoing my portfolio, mainly my actual portfolio, not the ones I have online.

I purchased a new portfolio case recently, since my old one was getting pretty dingy and now that I am looking at some of my images I know that I want to step it up a notch. So it's time to do an overhaul and set up test shoots with photographers to expand my book.

Because of the bridal shows I've been doing this year, I'm hoping to track down some pictures of me on the runway to include in my portfolio--I really enjoy this type of work and want to have a strong bridal look section for my book. I just did a bridal beauty shoot with a fabulous local photographer on Tuesday morning and after previewing some of the images, I know these are going to be my strongest pictures yet.

Because it was a beauty shoot, the majority of the images were taken from the shoulders up. The great thing about this particular shoot is that the photos will also work well for a commercial/print headshot. Instead of wearing my hair down and curled, she actually did my hair in tiny, spiral curls, which I've never had before--it makes for a really cool alternate look for me.

Being a model of color, having curly, more "natural" looking hair is very in demand right now so with these images I'll be able to show clients that I can pull off that look, which could get me more gigs. It's all about knowing your market and who the competition is.

Other test shoots I'm working on include swimwear and I'm also trying to coordinate a shoot for me and my latest model-partner-in-crime, Cameron Clark, to update your couple lifestyle shots. He mainly does fashion and runway but realized that he was missing lifestyle/commercial images in his portfolio and since that's one of my specialties it only made sense for us to team up!

We've got some great concepts and know that with the right photographer, both of our portfolios will benefit. I first met Cameron doing the bridal shows and he actually ended up being my "groom" so we've been "married" about 3 or 4 times this Fall season LOL. He's a great model and very talented so I can't wait to see what lifestyle images we come up with.

Aside from the test shoot phase, I am also waiting to hear back about a possible opportunity to travel to New York to do some modeling for a designer who is launching his petite line. As exciting as the prospect of such a gig is, I am staying fairly neutral about it because in this industry great ideas come and go, projects are offered and then fall apart, and basically anything can happen. So until I get my plane ticket and/or a contract stating that it's official, I'm going to not think about it too much and instead focus on the other aspects of my career.

Don't worry, I've still got more great topics to come and I'll be sure to keep you posted about how my shoots go and all that other fun stuff! Stay tuned...

Comments

Jennifer said…
Hi Miss D!!!!!! I found your blog! I love it too! Miss You see you in January!
Dania Denise said…
Hey, Jennifer! Glad to see you on my blog...I miss you, too! Can't wait to see you soon! Hope you have a happy holiday!!! =)

<3 Miss D

Popular posts from this blog

Modeling & Pay Rates: How Much Should You Charge?

(This post is more targeted towards freelance models and not those with agency representation, although it may apply to those that have an agent but continue to find their own work.) A part of being a successful model is making money from the jobs that you book. However, being a freelance model comes with many challenges--figuring out what you should charge is one of them. I will say upfront that there are no established black and white rules when it comes to pay rates. Each modeling job is different, each client is different and budgets vary. Ultimately the factors that should influence what you charge should be the amount of experience you have, the strength of the images in your portfolio and the client's budget/needs. Not every client is going to pay what you want to charge. There may be times when you will be skipped over for charging too much or taken advantage of for charging too little. It's going to happen so be prepared for it and do not take it personally. It

What Are Male Models Supposed to Look Like?

The modeling world is filled with women. That's never been a secret and sadly, that often means male models fall by the wayside. There are successful male models in all categories across the industry but the fact that the modeling business revolves around women can make it challenging for newbies to figure out how to pursue their goals of male modeling. It is important to know that because there are different types of modeling categories out there, that means there are also different types of male models. They aren't all supposed to look alike and what ends up being in demand does change every year. Let's break down the common attributes that come with male modeling in various popular categories, shall we? THE MALE FASHION/RUNWAY/EDITORIAL MODEL These are the typical types of models most of us tend to think of when it comes to men in modeling. What is important to know and understand if you're an aspiring male model is that agencies have all different looks

Modeling and Weight

One of the first things I hear potential models ask is what the weight requirement for modeling is. Sometimes that is the main issue they worry about when it comes to pursuing modeling. Let me tell you right now that weight should NOT be one of those concerns. Obviously, the height requirement reigns supreme when measuring up to the modeling standards sought out by agencies. If you meet the height requirements--whether it's for fashion and runway or commercial/print--that is the first step towards starting on the path to modeling. How much you weigh shouldn't be your biggest fear. It is rare that anyone can look at someone and say, "Oh, my gosh, he/she looks like they are 5 pounds over our weight requirement!" It just isn't realistic. If you look at many modeling agency websites, they clearly list the age and height requirements--rarely, if at all do they list any weight restrictions. The general rule of thumb when it comes to weight is that for models who