Skip to main content

Happy New Year 2018 - The Latest on Dania Denise

Another year come and gone. What can I say about 2017?

Well, as you probably know if you've been a reader of this blog for some time now, I haven't actively been posting like I used to.

But I see it as a blessing in disguise. Think about it: I certainly love sharing all the insight and knowledge I have about the modeling industry with all of you but at the same time what kind of professional model would I be if all I did was blog every day?

If anything, I am happy I posted so much in the early years of this blog. That was mainly due to the fact that I was working in the corporate world at the time, meaning I was a slave to a computer and cubicle 5 days a week. It was easy for me to shoot off a blog post or two (or three) and keep content up regularly.

Once I broke free of the corporate shackles, however, I was finally able to take my entertainment career to the next level and not only continue to build my resume of experience and expand my network, but gain even more knowledge and how-to that I am able to pass on to you, my beloved readers.

That being said, what I can do is promise you that I will keep this blog active with posts. My plan A is to post new content once a week. Plan B is once every other week. Plan C is once a month. My list of topics to cover is extensive so there will be no shortage of things to talk, educate and inform you about in all aspects related to the modeling industry. I'll also continue to answer reader questions on my other blog (http://amodelsdiary-readerquestions.blogspot.com/).

So in that sense, things will continue as they always have. I do want to thank all of you for sticking around, your patience and wonderful messages that further encourage and motivate me to keep Modeling 101 - A Model's Diary thriving.

For those of you that follow me on social media, you'll know that I've been moving and shaking quite a bit, including wearing more hats and pursuing business opportunities that I've always had on my radar. Timing is everything and because of 2017 I'm even more energized to take things to the next level.

Don't follow me on social media or haven't had a chance to check out the latest on my happenings? Then allow me to catch you up:


THINK POST PRODUCTIONS

The Think Post Productions Team after the premiere of our first official project, "The Run."
Promo Poster Featuring The Cast of "The Run":
Alex Acosta (Landon), Mike Betancourt (Vince), Rafael Siegel (The Man), Dania Denise (Emily)


I've been fortunate this year to book a number of acting jobs but I'm not only interested in being in front of the camera. I've transitioned to being behind it as well. Along with my other two business partners/creatives, Alex & Rob, we've formed a new company: Think Post Productions.

To work with others who are just as passionate about creating as I am has been so refreshing and we've put together a winning team and have hit the ground running ever since. "The Run" was our first official project, a fun Mafia-style film where I co-star as a bartender named Emily. We had a small premiere screening in the city of Brentwood, CA, where we shot the film on location over the course of 3 days. We had a great turnout and are already in pre-production for our next short, "Monster" (working title), which I wrote and will be starring in.

Throw in weekly production meetings, writing/brainstorming sessions, rehearsals, location scouting and putting together shooting schedules and the hours really add up--not that it feels that way. Living and breathing one's craft is a dream come true and I look forward to each and every project Think Post Productions has lined up.

MISS CALIFORNIA PETITE, USA PETITE & UNIVERSAL PETITE

Cheesing with my pageant sisters:
USA Petite Mrs. 2016 Kristine McGoldrick, USA Petite Ms. 2017 Neisha Molina and USA Petite Mrs. 2017 Leah Jensen.

Being interviewed on TV about California Petite by CBS KPIX Channel 5's Kenny Choi on "Bay Sunday."

Photo op with co-host, Mick Ferrari, and this year's winners of Universal Petite:
Universal Petite Miss 2017 Kathiria Nunez (Puerto Rico) & Universal Petite Teen 2017 Guiliana Pechernicoff (Argentina)
Becoming involved in the pageant world and being a part of the USA Petite system since 2015 has opened my eyes to the possibilities and opportunities to not only continue empowering women of all ages, shapes and sizes but create a platform for shorter women to reach their goals.

As the State Director for the first ever Miss California Petite Pageant (scheduled for April 13-15, 2018), I've been busy with registering contestants, locking in the venue, working with sponsors, marketing and promoting the event via TV interviews, online article write-ups and social media, as well as continuing to participate in each year's USA Petite and Universal Petite competitions in Florida. I was blessed to serve as assistant to our founder and National Director, Hazely Lopez, during both of these events, as well as co-host/emcee the pageants with my dear friend, Mick Ferrari.

My pageant family of sister queens grew exponentially and not only did we crown some amazing new title holders in Florida this past November, several of them are becoming State Directors within the USA Petite system and will be making an appearance at my pageant in April to show their support.

My vision for bringing State Preliminaries in all 50 states to put USA Petite at the forefront of the pageant industry is one of my life's goals and so far all the signs are pointing in the direction that this is exactly where I'm meant to be and I look forward to continuing to work with and inspire short women to believe that there is no goal too high to reach for as long as you've got the right pair of heels.

HOSTING AT THE 2017 NAPA VALLEY FILM FESTIVAL

Hanging out on-stage with Will Ferrell. Photo: Will Bucquoy

With actor Jim Rash ("Community," "How I Met Your Mother" and tons of other TV and film credits).

With actor David Arquette.
My training as a host/emcee really came in handy this year, especially during the 2017 Napa Valley Film Festival. For several days I served as a "Ringmaster," which is basically film festival lingo for "host/emcee." I welcomed film goers to my venue, the spacious and beautiful Lincoln Theater in Yountville, California, located in wine country. I also moderated Q&A sessions, networked with various directors and met a handful of celebrities.

The highlight of the Napa Valley Film Festival was hands down getting to host a special tribute for Will Ferrell. Not only did I get to meet Will, we spent time on-stage together and he even gave me a shout out during the tribute. I'm still tracking down more photos and hopefully any video clips of that once-in-a-lifetime experience.

I'll be participating in the film festival each year and can't wait to see what big names come to visit the Napa Valley in 2018!

MODELING & MENTORING

Mood board I created for a model mentee's test shoot.

Helping on-set for model mentee, Gabriella.

BTS of model mentee, Zarie's test shoot.

More BTS from model mentee, Zarie's shoot and celebration afterwards.
I've been extremely picky in what modeling gigs I took on this year and I'll do more of the same for 2018. While I continue to model professionally, I've also been setting up my own shoots to produce images to enforce my branding and show potential clients and my network what I'm capable of if I'm on their project.

Additionally, I had the chance to help other models set up their careers in the form of organizing their test shoots for portfolio building, content creation for social media and even served as their stylist and onsite modeling coach during the shoots. To be able to connect with aspiring models face-to-face is so rewarding and I hope to keep getting hired for such work (to hire me for these services, visit my website: www.daniadee.com). For those I mentor/coach who are far away, Skype sessions and email communications have helped them build the confidence and skills to navigate their way through the modeling industry.

I also have a pretty exciting opportunity on my plate that I can't announce the details of yet until things are confirmed and a contract is in place but it does involve being the face of a new product campaign. Okay, that's all I'll say about that for now. You'll have to be patient and keep checking in for the latest!

LOOKING AHEAD TO 2018


All the hard work I've put into 2017 has set things up to make 2018 even bigger and better. It wasn't all rainbows and puppies: loved ones were lost, we live in troubled times and are dealing with unprecedented territory both nationally and on a global scale and for as many good days we have, there are also really bad days.

That's what we call life: you choose to either hide from it or push past it and make the day given to you a better one, not just for yourself but those around you.

Change cannot be accomplished by one person. I don't aspire to change the world--I aspire to inspire change in the world. And that doesn't take some monumental feat to accomplish.

When you smile at a stranger passing by on the street, when you lend an ear and listen to someone who needs it, when you recognize pain in another person and do what you can to lift the burden, when you stand up for what is right even if it means standing alone--it all means something. It all contributes to a world where we stop becoming so selfish, entitled and close-minded. Whether some people want to admit it or not, we crave connection, meaning, understanding, something to remind us that we are alive--that we're here for a reason.

Find your reason, your passion, your purpose and take that into 2018 with you. I don't have all the answers and don't claim to have all the secrets to success but what I do know is that I refuse to let failure be an option. I know my self worth. I don't need anyone's approval, validation or permission, just my own. When a door closes, I don't go through the open window--I build my own damn door.

I say all this to say that you are responsible for your happiness, your joy and achieving your goals. Get out of your own way and you can accomplish whatever it is you set out to do, whether it's in the modeling world or something else (remember, there is more to the world than modeling).

I want to continue to thank you all for staying on this blogging journey with me and for the love and support. I'm blessed to have been a part of your lives and hearing your life stories and the ups and downs of your experiences have all served to make me a better and more effective mentor, coach, consultant and friend.

Without getting too sappy, I want to wish all of you a safe and prosperous New Year's Eve and remember that tomorrow isn't promised to any of us so when you wake up on New Year's Day, know that 2018 is exactly what you choose to make it. So make it count!

Comments

steve said…
Dania,

Thank you for sharing some of your accomplishments from 2017 and aspirations for 2018. You are multi-talented, and have a lot on your plate for the new year. You represent the highest standards of morality. Your vision of the world in commendable such as when you set aside greed in this competitive world, and help others to fulfill their dreams. Thanks for keeping your blog going, and helping models like me.

Steve Norwood

Popular posts from this blog

Modeling & Pay Rates: How Much Should You Charge?

(This post is more targeted towards freelance models and not those with agency representation, although it may apply to those that have an agent but continue to find their own work.) A part of being a successful model is making money from the jobs that you book. However, being a freelance model comes with many challenges--figuring out what you should charge is one of them. I will say upfront that there are no established black and white rules when it comes to pay rates. Each modeling job is different, each client is different and budgets vary. Ultimately the factors that should influence what you charge should be the amount of experience you have, the strength of the images in your portfolio and the client's budget/needs. Not every client is going to pay what you want to charge. There may be times when you will be skipped over for charging too much or taken advantage of for charging too little. It's going to happen so be prepared for it and do not take it personally. It

Modeling and Weight

One of the first things I hear potential models ask is what the weight requirement for modeling is. Sometimes that is the main issue they worry about when it comes to pursuing modeling. Let me tell you right now that weight should NOT be one of those concerns. Obviously, the height requirement reigns supreme when measuring up to the modeling standards sought out by agencies. If you meet the height requirements--whether it's for fashion and runway or commercial/print--that is the first step towards starting on the path to modeling. How much you weigh shouldn't be your biggest fear. It is rare that anyone can look at someone and say, "Oh, my gosh, he/she looks like they are 5 pounds over our weight requirement!" It just isn't realistic. If you look at many modeling agency websites, they clearly list the age and height requirements--rarely, if at all do they list any weight restrictions. The general rule of thumb when it comes to weight is that for models who

What Are Male Models Supposed to Look Like?

The modeling world is filled with women. That's never been a secret and sadly, that often means male models fall by the wayside. There are successful male models in all categories across the industry but the fact that the modeling business revolves around women can make it challenging for newbies to figure out how to pursue their goals of male modeling. It is important to know that because there are different types of modeling categories out there, that means there are also different types of male models. They aren't all supposed to look alike and what ends up being in demand does change every year. Let's break down the common attributes that come with male modeling in various popular categories, shall we? THE MALE FASHION/RUNWAY/EDITORIAL MODEL These are the typical types of models most of us tend to think of when it comes to men in modeling. What is important to know and understand if you're an aspiring male model is that agencies have all different looks