Skip to main content

Let's Break Down a Modeling Scam, Shall We?

It's been a while since I've received a modeling scam email so I felt pretty special about receiving this one earlier this year, mainly because I felt it would make for a good blog post. 

I meant to post about this sooner but it happened in March and COVID decided to hang out so...you know the rest.

I've written about modeling scams in the past but because they tend to change over time I figured why not see what this latest fraudster has to offer? Below are the telltale signs that immediately signaled to me that this clown was one to add to a long list of shady individuals looking for a gullible model to take the bait: 

FORMATTING ISSUES

You know when you copy and paste text from different sources into the body of an email or a program like Microsoft Word and the result is a bunch of text of varying sizes and font styles? Super annoying, am I right? 

So why on earth would anyone in the professional realm of the fashion/modeling industry send out an email where none of the fonts are uniform?

I've included screenshots of the original email below and while I couldn't get the entire email in one screenshot, you'll see the inconsistencies I'm talking about, especially in the first paragraph and the latter part of the message.

EMAIL ADDRESS


Is it possible for people who work for major companies or famous individuals to have a generic email through a platform like AOL, Gmail, Yahoo, etc? Of course. BUT when it comes to business opportunities and modeling job offers, I pay more attention to the email address of the person contacting me. 

I'm sorry but the fact that anyone can create an email account on the sites I mentioned doesn't spark confidence or trust in me when it comes to modeling jobs and trying to figure out if people are who they say they are. The same goes for when you get contacted by someone claiming to be working at a modeling agency but their email address doesn't end in the name of the agency.

NO SALUTATION

This email had no "Dear Dania," "To Whom It May Concern" or even a "Hello." It just went straight into who this person was, what they do and what they wanted.

It might seem like a small thing but believe me, any industry professional will at least start off their email with a salutation (maybe not all but most--at least the ones I work with do). They likely didn't include a basic salutation because it would be one less thing to worry about messing up on when copying and pasting their bogus modeling gig. 

It also goes to show they have no idea of the names of the people they're emailing--they're just waiting to see who responds and will go from there.

HOW HE FOUND ME


Mr. Humphrey claims he and his "boss", Sergio Zambon, found my resume on the modeling site Models.com. That's pretty funny because I do not have a profile on Models.com. I'm on a lot of similar sites and platforms but that's not one of them.

THE PAY RATE


Offering $2,400 for a 2-day shoot with a $500 per diem and all travel expenses paid? Yes, please! Oh, wait...you have no idea who I am, don't know my name, "found" me on a site I'm not on, yet you're inviting me to participate in a modeling job that will pay me an exorbitant amount of money? If only it were that easy!

I am not famous (yet) and my name recognition alone isn't one that would command a pay rate that high. Are there modeling jobs that pay this much? Certainly but that's few and far in between and that's a rate that would be negotiated and handled by a model's agent.

Simply put: this pay rate is as fake as the opportunity itself.

THE JOB DETAILS

They are looking for male and female models to showcase a line of streetwear...mmkay but that description is extremely broad. No height or weight requirements? For a major brand/company like the one mentioned in the email, they're almost always going to have some details about the types of models they're looking for, especially clothing sizes.

Additionally, the information they ask for is info they would have found listed on my Models.com profile...if I had one. I also know that agencies register their models on that site (you as a model cannot create your own profile page...you can sign up for an account to use their resources but an agent has to actually set up/request that you have a profile page on there) so if they were to go about this casting the right way, they would have obtained my agent's info and contacted them with the offer--not me directly. 

While I'm sure there are exceptions to this, the point I'm trying to make is that you can't take these types of correspondence at face value. You've gotta get the stars out of your eyes and really see what's in front of you.

DON'T BE FOOLED



Some of you might be thinking to yourself, "But they state there's no nudity, so that's good, right? And they're not asking for any money upfront so that means it could be legit, couldn't it?" 

To that point, I say yes, that's true BUT the way scams work evolves over the years depending on what the scammer is trying to do. This email doesn't strike me as the traditional money wire scam where they ask you to send a deposit for a photography studio in your city to secure your big time, high paid shoot, only to pocket the real money they receive from you and disappear.

This one, if you can believe it, is worse: identity theft and catfishing. While the information they asked for above isn't enough to open up a bank account or credit card in your name, it is plenty to set up fake social media profiles, post on dating sites and basically pretend to be you...and you would never know. At least not right away.

On the flip side, this is the same type of information you would provide at a traditional model casting call for either a gig or for an agency but again, remember, this is you sending a total stranger your stats, location and a photo, where they are then free to do with those materials as they please.

Even though the email claims I would be contacted with more info in a follow-up email, all the other red flags make it very clear that I either would never hear from them again or they may send another email asking for more photos and more information. Maybe even money. Who knows? 

THE END RESULT

I didn't respond. It's simply not worth my time. Even if I wrote back saying I knew they were trying to scam me, that's not going to make them grow a conscious or be scared. There is not much authorities can do to track down someone through an email address either (despite what you see on TV or what your friend's mom's sister's coworker said). 

What I did do, however, was contact the company named in the email. I sent a message through their website to the corporate office, alerting them that I received an email from someone using their company/brand fraudulently. I also offered to send them the original email if they requested it.

Whether I hear from the company or not is yet to be seen but I always feel an effective course of action is to report this kind of scam to the direct source. Chances are they have the resources and pull to try and investigate the matter further and put a stop to it.

Remember: if something seems too good to be true, it probably is and the modeling industry is no exception. Be smart, triple check everything and use the internet to find out what makes sense and what doesn't add up. 

Comments

Talent Connect said…
Great information! Models really need to pay attention to any job details.

Popular posts from this blog

Modeling & Pay Rates: How Much Should You Charge?

(This post is more targeted towards freelance models and not those with agency representation, although it may apply to those that have an agent but continue to find their own work.) A part of being a successful model is making money from the jobs that you book. However, being a freelance model comes with many challenges--figuring out what you should charge is one of them. I will say upfront that there are no established black and white rules when it comes to pay rates. Each modeling job is different, each client is different and budgets vary. Ultimately the factors that should influence what you charge should be the amount of experience you have, the strength of the images in your portfolio and the client's budget/needs. Not every client is going to pay what you want to charge. There may be times when you will be skipped over for charging too much or taken advantage of for charging too little. It's going to happen so be prepared for it and do not take it personally. It

Modeling and Weight

One of the first things I hear potential models ask is what the weight requirement for modeling is. Sometimes that is the main issue they worry about when it comes to pursuing modeling. Let me tell you right now that weight should NOT be one of those concerns. Obviously, the height requirement reigns supreme when measuring up to the modeling standards sought out by agencies. If you meet the height requirements--whether it's for fashion and runway or commercial/print--that is the first step towards starting on the path to modeling. How much you weigh shouldn't be your biggest fear. It is rare that anyone can look at someone and say, "Oh, my gosh, he/she looks like they are 5 pounds over our weight requirement!" It just isn't realistic. If you look at many modeling agency websites, they clearly list the age and height requirements--rarely, if at all do they list any weight restrictions. The general rule of thumb when it comes to weight is that for models who

What Are Male Models Supposed to Look Like?

The modeling world is filled with women. That's never been a secret and sadly, that often means male models fall by the wayside. There are successful male models in all categories across the industry but the fact that the modeling business revolves around women can make it challenging for newbies to figure out how to pursue their goals of male modeling. It is important to know that because there are different types of modeling categories out there, that means there are also different types of male models. They aren't all supposed to look alike and what ends up being in demand does change every year. Let's break down the common attributes that come with male modeling in various popular categories, shall we? THE MALE FASHION/RUNWAY/EDITORIAL MODEL These are the typical types of models most of us tend to think of when it comes to men in modeling. What is important to know and understand if you're an aspiring male model is that agencies have all different looks