Skip to main content

Be Your Own Modeling Expert


My passion for the entertainment, modeling and broadcasting industry is so strong that I put all my effort into learning about the different fields I work in. In addition to modeling, I also freelance as a television news and entertainment reporter so I spend a lot of time shooting footage, interviewing people and talking on-camera.

I love being hands-on with all of my broadcasting projects, from playing back footage, to editing and writing the scripts. That gives me the experience and credibility to tell anyone, "I know exactly how this works because I've done it!"
From my past experiences doing this type of work, I learned a great deal about lighting, posing, framing, camera equipment, etc. And you know what? A lot of what I learned in college as well as from my freelance career carried over into my modeling career.

In college, I learned about everything that goes on behind the camera and while some of it seemed so boring and meaningless, many of the aspects about broadcasting I learned were almost the same when it came to photography and modeling. Of course the two aren't the same but there are some principles and factors that can be similar.
Everything I learned about broadcasting made me a better journalist and reporter so I figured why not do the same for my modeling career? I immediately went to work learning about the basics of photography: lighting, the types of equipment needed for certain shoots, filters, lenses, colors, backgrounds, composition, and a score of other things.

Not only was learning about photography fun but it was really helpful to me as a model. Now I have a glimpse into what the person behind the camera has to deal with. When you know the way the shot is going to be based off of the equipment alone, you'll know what poses to do and how to position yourself.
For example, with studio shooting, you're always going to have to deal with lights. And there's more than just one type of light. Some are huge, while others are small and placed at different angles. When I did my high-key white shoot, I was very familiar with the types of lighting the photographer was using.

I looked over the set-up and knew right away that I would have to be very careful of what poses I would be doing because with lights, there are shadows. And certain poses will cast some of the most difficult shadows that can ruin an otherwise beautiful shot. The entire time I had to be aware of the angle of my face...if I had my hands or arms up in the air, I had to position them a certain way so that the light didn't create a shadow on my face. Most models who don't give the lighting a second thought can put out the greatest poses that end up ruined because of harsh shadows they created without even knowing it.
I'm not saying you should sign up for a photography class (although it would be a great experience) but take some time out to research the duties and responsibilities that comes with photography. Learn for yourself how these talented people are able to capture the most breath-taking images...and how they use Photoshop to make us look so dang perfect! Soak up this knowledge and take it with you.

Be your own expert and any photographer you work with will not only be impressed but grateful that you're able to see things from their point of view and make it easier for them. Of course, don't try to dictate to the photographer how they should do their job--leave that up to them, they are the photographers after all!
Many models have turned to photography as a hobby or as a part of their career. Even I've started sneaking practice shots of random objects, places and people using my boyfriend's Nikon D70 to take flicks when he doesn't need his camera.
So don't just stand there looking pretty and zoning off--look around you, observe your surroundings, learn the styles and techniques that are responsible for producing quality modeling pictures and I guarantee you the rest of your shoots will turn out the best pictures ever because instead of one expert on-set, there will be two!

Comments

Chelsea Marie said…
Thank for sharing your experiences, hopes, dreams and aspirations with us readers.

Popular posts from this blog

Modeling & Pay Rates: How Much Should You Charge?

(This post is more targeted towards freelance models and not those with agency representation, although it may apply to those that have an agent but continue to find their own work.) A part of being a successful model is making money from the jobs that you book. However, being a freelance model comes with many challenges--figuring out what you should charge is one of them. I will say upfront that there are no established black and white rules when it comes to pay rates. Each modeling job is different, each client is different and budgets vary. Ultimately the factors that should influence what you charge should be the amount of experience you have, the strength of the images in your portfolio and the client's budget/needs. Not every client is going to pay what you want to charge. There may be times when you will be skipped over for charging too much or taken advantage of for charging too little. It's going to happen so be prepared for it and do not take it personally. It

What Are Male Models Supposed to Look Like?

The modeling world is filled with women. That's never been a secret and sadly, that often means male models fall by the wayside. There are successful male models in all categories across the industry but the fact that the modeling business revolves around women can make it challenging for newbies to figure out how to pursue their goals of male modeling. It is important to know that because there are different types of modeling categories out there, that means there are also different types of male models. They aren't all supposed to look alike and what ends up being in demand does change every year. Let's break down the common attributes that come with male modeling in various popular categories, shall we? THE MALE FASHION/RUNWAY/EDITORIAL MODEL These are the typical types of models most of us tend to think of when it comes to men in modeling. What is important to know and understand if you're an aspiring male model is that agencies have all different looks

Modeling and Weight

One of the first things I hear potential models ask is what the weight requirement for modeling is. Sometimes that is the main issue they worry about when it comes to pursuing modeling. Let me tell you right now that weight should NOT be one of those concerns. Obviously, the height requirement reigns supreme when measuring up to the modeling standards sought out by agencies. If you meet the height requirements--whether it's for fashion and runway or commercial/print--that is the first step towards starting on the path to modeling. How much you weigh shouldn't be your biggest fear. It is rare that anyone can look at someone and say, "Oh, my gosh, he/she looks like they are 5 pounds over our weight requirement!" It just isn't realistic. If you look at many modeling agency websites, they clearly list the age and height requirements--rarely, if at all do they list any weight restrictions. The general rule of thumb when it comes to weight is that for models who