Skip to main content

My First Meeting with FORD San Francisco


I have never been so excited as I was today when I stepped off the elevator and was greeted by the huge, silver letters of FORD Models, San Francisco. The walls were painted a deep red, with a black ceiling and trim. The office is still fairly new so they don't have a whole lot up yet but I was still tingling with nervous excitement.
 
I was there to meet with the people at FORD for the first time since they took me onto their roster after merging with my current agent, Generations Model & Talent, last Fall.

First I was introduced to everyone and then we got right down to business. I was taken into a room and stripped down to my bra and underwear to be fitted. At the moment they were looking for fit models for GAP, Old Navy, Banana Republic, etc. so they took a lot of measurements. Afterwards, I gave her my age, height, weight and contact info. Then I met with the head of the Women's Lifestyle/Commercial division and his assistant so that we could talk about my career with them.
At first they spent some time focusing on the fact that I was mostly doing acting work as opposed to modeling but I let them know that while I enjoy doing acting and television related gigs, I lived to be in front of the camera, was very photogenic and had been on numerous shoots so I was very familiar with the atmosphere. Then they told me they wanted to market and promote me to their clients but before they could do all that, I had to have new images in my portfolio (this is why I stress the importance of always updating your images, ladies and gentlemen!).

They referred me to one of their favorite photographers, who is located about 25 minutes south of San Francisco, right alongside the Pacific Ocean. During this part of the meeting we got down to the nitty gritty in terms of what the agency wanted from me. When I get together with the photographer, makeup artist, hair stylist and wardrobe stylist, the looks I have to nail are J. Crew in theme with a little bit of GAP thrown in. It's going to be a lot of white tops/sweater/tanks, and jeans (but not too street according to FORD), as well as an edgy version of business casual (like a cute blazer, skirt and heels but nothing too sexy or revealing). This is where things can kind of get confusing. There's so much "do this, but not quite this...try that but not so much of that." It's a lot to decipher but ultimately, I have a good idea of the theme and look they want me to portray.

One of the keys he told me to keep in mind is to avoid photographing young. What he meant by this is that I have to be mindful of the outfits I wear and the poses I do because there are times when I can look like a teeny-bopper in a photo. However, when you meet me in person, it is fairly obvious that I am in my early 20s...which my agent said was the perfect range for me so I have to stick to that and portray that age range in my photographs. This is where it comes in handy to know the various styles and themes that come along with the age range you are representing as a model. In addition to all this info, I was happy to hear that there may be a slight possibility that I could be booked for some fashion work, mainly print ads for Macy's Women's Petite and other big name department stores...but nothing that would make me appear too mature (that's the industry's nice way of saying "old"...lol).

The main challenge for me at this point is to find a happy balance between the outfits I'm going to wear on my shoot and delivering the images that the agency wants to use. Luckily, I was told that after my shoot, I would be invited back to their office to go over the images and help select the ones that would make the final cut into my FORD portfolio.

So now I have my mission and this probationary period is critical for me to deliver on because if the agency doesn't feel that I can get them simple shots for a portfolio, then they would have no reason to trust me to book gigs and that is where the real work as a model comes into play. You never want your agent to second-guess you or think that you may not be able to deliver on the tasks they send you on. So I'm going to put my all into this next shoot because it will be the determining factor between having a career with FORD or saying goodbye to my contract.

Comments

pinup_girl said…
Ford models? That's exciting! I wish you the best of luck!

Popular posts from this blog

Modeling & Pay Rates: How Much Should You Charge?

(This post is more targeted towards freelance models and not those with agency representation, although it may apply to those that have an agent but continue to find their own work.) A part of being a successful model is making money from the jobs that you book. However, being a freelance model comes with many challenges--figuring out what you should charge is one of them. I will say upfront that there are no established black and white rules when it comes to pay rates. Each modeling job is different, each client is different and budgets vary. Ultimately the factors that should influence what you charge should be the amount of experience you have, the strength of the images in your portfolio and the client's budget/needs. Not every client is going to pay what you want to charge. There may be times when you will be skipped over for charging too much or taken advantage of for charging too little. It's going to happen so be prepared for it and do not take it personally. It

What Are Male Models Supposed to Look Like?

The modeling world is filled with women. That's never been a secret and sadly, that often means male models fall by the wayside. There are successful male models in all categories across the industry but the fact that the modeling business revolves around women can make it challenging for newbies to figure out how to pursue their goals of male modeling. It is important to know that because there are different types of modeling categories out there, that means there are also different types of male models. They aren't all supposed to look alike and what ends up being in demand does change every year. Let's break down the common attributes that come with male modeling in various popular categories, shall we? THE MALE FASHION/RUNWAY/EDITORIAL MODEL These are the typical types of models most of us tend to think of when it comes to men in modeling. What is important to know and understand if you're an aspiring male model is that agencies have all different looks

Modeling and Weight

One of the first things I hear potential models ask is what the weight requirement for modeling is. Sometimes that is the main issue they worry about when it comes to pursuing modeling. Let me tell you right now that weight should NOT be one of those concerns. Obviously, the height requirement reigns supreme when measuring up to the modeling standards sought out by agencies. If you meet the height requirements--whether it's for fashion and runway or commercial/print--that is the first step towards starting on the path to modeling. How much you weigh shouldn't be your biggest fear. It is rare that anyone can look at someone and say, "Oh, my gosh, he/she looks like they are 5 pounds over our weight requirement!" It just isn't realistic. If you look at many modeling agency websites, they clearly list the age and height requirements--rarely, if at all do they list any weight restrictions. The general rule of thumb when it comes to weight is that for models who