Skip to main content

My Updated Comp/Zed Card

Hey, all! Just a quick post to share my new comp/zed card with you. I did this one in Photoshop and just decided to have a good one handy now that I'm actively looking for agency representation. It may give you a few ideas on how you may want to do your comp/zed card...of course there are websites that will put the images together for you if you aren't familiar with Photoshop.

Front:




Back:



***UPDATE: I actually redid the back of my comp card, which can be seen below.***



My decisions for choosing the images I did were pretty simple. I wanted to make sure that I chose four pictures that didn't all look the same and showcased the different types of work I was interested in:

1) Swimwear
2) Jewelry/Beauty
3) Print
4) Commercial Fashion

I made sure to include different angles of my body, including a full body shot, waist up, slight profile, and 3/4. It's important to choose photos that are different from each other but still allow you to be identifiable. In other words, you never want to look completely different in every image you use on your comp card.

It's okay to have at least one dramatically different image but overall you want to make sure you are recognizable. Sometimes agencies and clients don't like to see too much of a chameleon in a model's comp/zed card because this can lead to confusion: which look is the one they can expect when you walk through the door? You never want to make them guess.

Because I am mainly a print model, I also went with images that were more natural and didn't have any crazy makeup or fancy hairstyles. When choosing the field of modeling you want to target it is important to include pictures that reflect this.

Since I'm freelancing at the moment, I made sure to list my basic stats as well as my email address and website. I didn't want to put my phone number on there because I don't want that information to be out on display for all to see. Clients and agencies will be fine with an email address and having my website on there is also a direct way to show them my resume of experience without having to ask me to explain it all.

Also note that on the front I used my legal name for paperwork/legal purposes. When dealing with clients or agencies, I'll be sure to let them know about my model alias but in general, I've found that it's easier to introduce myself with my legal name first and then tell them my model alias.

Comments

wow, you look amazing! great comp card, i love it! very good advice too... you should compile it into a book...
Marla said…
What's the font you used? It's pretty!
Dania Denise said…
Hi, Marla! You'll find your answer in its own post, titled "Answering a Reader Question #75." Thanks for reading!
Marla said…
Hello again! I've been wondering, what is the height requirement for commercial fashion? Can one really do it at less than 5'7"? I thought jobs for down-to-earth catalogues and things like that still went to more commercial looking fashion models as opposed to commercial print models.
Dania Denise said…
Hey, Marla, great question! You'll find your answer in its own post, titled "Answering a Reader Question #77."
Anonymous said…
wow! i didnt know someone as short as u and with your kind of teeth could be a model. i have the same issues and have been trying for years but agencies always love to point out these flaws. nice to know us not so perfect teeth girls have a chance. thanks for showing me IT IS POSSIBLE!!!!! you go gurl
Anonymous said…
Hi, is it ok to post a digital copy of your comp card on Facebook, thanks?
Dania Denise said…
Hi, Anonymous! It's okay to post a digital copy of my comp card on Facebook but please visit this link to use a much more current version that I recently designed:

http://amodelsdiary.blogspot.com/2012/06/new-comp-card-designs.html

Please provide a link back to my Modeling 101 blog in the photo description that will accompany the photo on Facebook.

If you could also comment on here with a link to where I can see the Facebook page where it will appear, I would greatly appreciate it. I like to make sure I'm aware of where my photos and info are being published.

Thanks!

Popular posts from this blog

Modeling & Pay Rates: How Much Should You Charge?

(This post is more targeted towards freelance models and not those with agency representation, although it may apply to those that have an agent but continue to find their own work.) A part of being a successful model is making money from the jobs that you book. However, being a freelance model comes with many challenges--figuring out what you should charge is one of them. I will say upfront that there are no established black and white rules when it comes to pay rates. Each modeling job is different, each client is different and budgets vary. Ultimately the factors that should influence what you charge should be the amount of experience you have, the strength of the images in your portfolio and the client's budget/needs. Not every client is going to pay what you want to charge. There may be times when you will be skipped over for charging too much or taken advantage of for charging too little. It's going to happen so be prepared for it and do not take it personally. It

What Are Male Models Supposed to Look Like?

The modeling world is filled with women. That's never been a secret and sadly, that often means male models fall by the wayside. There are successful male models in all categories across the industry but the fact that the modeling business revolves around women can make it challenging for newbies to figure out how to pursue their goals of male modeling. It is important to know that because there are different types of modeling categories out there, that means there are also different types of male models. They aren't all supposed to look alike and what ends up being in demand does change every year. Let's break down the common attributes that come with male modeling in various popular categories, shall we? THE MALE FASHION/RUNWAY/EDITORIAL MODEL These are the typical types of models most of us tend to think of when it comes to men in modeling. What is important to know and understand if you're an aspiring male model is that agencies have all different looks

Modeling and Weight

One of the first things I hear potential models ask is what the weight requirement for modeling is. Sometimes that is the main issue they worry about when it comes to pursuing modeling. Let me tell you right now that weight should NOT be one of those concerns. Obviously, the height requirement reigns supreme when measuring up to the modeling standards sought out by agencies. If you meet the height requirements--whether it's for fashion and runway or commercial/print--that is the first step towards starting on the path to modeling. How much you weigh shouldn't be your biggest fear. It is rare that anyone can look at someone and say, "Oh, my gosh, he/she looks like they are 5 pounds over our weight requirement!" It just isn't realistic. If you look at many modeling agency websites, they clearly list the age and height requirements--rarely, if at all do they list any weight restrictions. The general rule of thumb when it comes to weight is that for models who