Skip to main content

Update on Me & Ford


Sometimes if you feel that your agency should do things a little differently or if you are concerned about the direction they are taking your career in, then you should let them know. For a while now I’ve been hoping that Ford would start submitting me to different types of castings or find clients that are looking for ethnic models. I also started to wonder what the San Francisco market was looking like now that the weather is getting better so I gave my direct booking agent at Ford, Stephanie, a call. We talked about how the market at this point in time was cyclical and they literally have to take things week by week, since the clients and the range of work varied so much. Luckily, she did assure me that my look was in demand and that they were submitting me to everything they had.

I also used this opportunity to voice my concern over my photos that are currently on Ford’s website (wish I could show it to you all but Ford requires a login name and password so the galleries of talent can’t be viewed by the public—hey, I don’t make the rules!). For a long time I’ve felt that the images chosen weren’t the strongest and I know of other photos from the shoot that would have been great on the site but were never used. My booker definitely listened to my concerns and said that she would go back through my film and find newer pictures to update. The fact that I mentioned my photos on the site actually caused her to realize that they hadn’t updated my images in a few months so there you go—if I hadn’t spoken up, they never would have recognized the need to switch out the images.

During this talk, I also asked what the agency’s standards were for accepting photos from shoots I’ve done on my own. She said they were definitely open to look at images from test shoots I’ve done. Luckily, I have an awesome jewelry shoot booked for May 18th, and she said that once I receive the CD of images, I should come by the agency to take a look at them. I told her that I strongly felt I could do well with cosmetic and beauty gigs and she agreed and is excited to see the photos.

Only by keeping the lines of communication open with your agent can you really compromise on how to market yourself. And now Ford knows that I am really eager to take my career to the next level and hopefully this year will open up new opportunities.

Comments

Fashion Addict said…
hey! It's the crazy girl from Fashion Addict! Anyway, I hope you get more gigs through your agency! and keep all the good posts! (I'm reading everything, but sometimes I don't comment... I'm sorry!)

Popular posts from this blog

Modeling & Pay Rates: How Much Should You Charge?

(This post is more targeted towards freelance models and not those with agency representation, although it may apply to those that have an agent but continue to find their own work.) A part of being a successful model is making money from the jobs that you book. However, being a freelance model comes with many challenges--figuring out what you should charge is one of them. I will say upfront that there are no established black and white rules when it comes to pay rates. Each modeling job is different, each client is different and budgets vary. Ultimately the factors that should influence what you charge should be the amount of experience you have, the strength of the images in your portfolio and the client's budget/needs. Not every client is going to pay what you want to charge. There may be times when you will be skipped over for charging too much or taken advantage of for charging too little. It's going to happen so be prepared for it and do not take it personally. It

Modeling and Weight

One of the first things I hear potential models ask is what the weight requirement for modeling is. Sometimes that is the main issue they worry about when it comes to pursuing modeling. Let me tell you right now that weight should NOT be one of those concerns. Obviously, the height requirement reigns supreme when measuring up to the modeling standards sought out by agencies. If you meet the height requirements--whether it's for fashion and runway or commercial/print--that is the first step towards starting on the path to modeling. How much you weigh shouldn't be your biggest fear. It is rare that anyone can look at someone and say, "Oh, my gosh, he/she looks like they are 5 pounds over our weight requirement!" It just isn't realistic. If you look at many modeling agency websites, they clearly list the age and height requirements--rarely, if at all do they list any weight restrictions. The general rule of thumb when it comes to weight is that for models who

What Are Male Models Supposed to Look Like?

The modeling world is filled with women. That's never been a secret and sadly, that often means male models fall by the wayside. There are successful male models in all categories across the industry but the fact that the modeling business revolves around women can make it challenging for newbies to figure out how to pursue their goals of male modeling. It is important to know that because there are different types of modeling categories out there, that means there are also different types of male models. They aren't all supposed to look alike and what ends up being in demand does change every year. Let's break down the common attributes that come with male modeling in various popular categories, shall we? THE MALE FASHION/RUNWAY/EDITORIAL MODEL These are the typical types of models most of us tend to think of when it comes to men in modeling. What is important to know and understand if you're an aspiring male model is that agencies have all different looks