Skip to main content

Latest Shoot: Lifestyle/Couple Shoot

One of my goals was to completely revamp my portfolio (my physical "book," not my images online). My reason for doing this was to make sure that when I attended in-person castings, especially in the Los Angeles area, that my images would be of the best quality and truly show my diversity in looks--not to mention they needed to be updated anyway lol.

I wanted to have more lifestyle images in my new port so I put together the concept shoot called "Lazy Sunday," which is basically a candid look into the life of a couple in love. I contacted my fellow model, Cameron Clark, to play my hubby. I hired Peter Kyong of Kyong Photography, who I had worked with previously on two other shoots. Because the shoot was commercial in nature, there was no need for fancy hair, makeup or wardrobe styling, which made things really convenient.

Once I had my crew in place, I began doing research online for locations. Cameron suggested a bed and breakfast, which was an awesome idea, since I wanted the pictures to look like we were spending a day in our own home, instead of a hotel or something. After making a few phone calls, I managed to secure the Atherton Inn Bed & Breakfast, which was about an hour away from where we all lived. The owner had never had a photoshoot take place at her location before (aside from wedding related stuff) so I went over the process with her and worked out the details.

The shoot started at around 9am and we started in the bedroom, where we shot in the bed, out on the balcony and in the bathroom. Then we moved downstairs to the gourmet kitchen as well as the dining room area. The next location was the living room, where there was a great piano near the window. As the day wound down, we went back upstairs to shoot in front of a large window that overlooked the neighborhood.

Overall, the shoot went well. We laughed and joked the entire time and the day flew by. The staff at the bed and breakfast were wonderful and pretty much gave us free reign of the facilities. Out of 400-500 images I managed to narrow down my favorites to 10 and from there I narrowed it down further to create the collages that I've shared below:


The second collage image is actually going to be printed out for my portfolio.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Modeling & Pay Rates: How Much Should You Charge?

(This post is more targeted towards freelance models and not those with agency representation, although it may apply to those that have an agent but continue to find their own work.) A part of being a successful model is making money from the jobs that you book. However, being a freelance model comes with many challenges--figuring out what you should charge is one of them. I will say upfront that there are no established black and white rules when it comes to pay rates. Each modeling job is different, each client is different and budgets vary. Ultimately the factors that should influence what you charge should be the amount of experience you have, the strength of the images in your portfolio and the client's budget/needs. Not every client is going to pay what you want to charge. There may be times when you will be skipped over for charging too much or taken advantage of for charging too little. It's going to happen so be prepared for it and do not take it personally. It

Modeling and Weight

One of the first things I hear potential models ask is what the weight requirement for modeling is. Sometimes that is the main issue they worry about when it comes to pursuing modeling. Let me tell you right now that weight should NOT be one of those concerns. Obviously, the height requirement reigns supreme when measuring up to the modeling standards sought out by agencies. If you meet the height requirements--whether it's for fashion and runway or commercial/print--that is the first step towards starting on the path to modeling. How much you weigh shouldn't be your biggest fear. It is rare that anyone can look at someone and say, "Oh, my gosh, he/she looks like they are 5 pounds over our weight requirement!" It just isn't realistic. If you look at many modeling agency websites, they clearly list the age and height requirements--rarely, if at all do they list any weight restrictions. The general rule of thumb when it comes to weight is that for models who

What Are Male Models Supposed to Look Like?

The modeling world is filled with women. That's never been a secret and sadly, that often means male models fall by the wayside. There are successful male models in all categories across the industry but the fact that the modeling business revolves around women can make it challenging for newbies to figure out how to pursue their goals of male modeling. It is important to know that because there are different types of modeling categories out there, that means there are also different types of male models. They aren't all supposed to look alike and what ends up being in demand does change every year. Let's break down the common attributes that come with male modeling in various popular categories, shall we? THE MALE FASHION/RUNWAY/EDITORIAL MODEL These are the typical types of models most of us tend to think of when it comes to men in modeling. What is important to know and understand if you're an aspiring male model is that agencies have all different looks