Skip to main content

Latest Shoot: NSG Hair Campaign

Another day, another shoot! My latest project was for a national hair campaign for a company called NSG, which makes high end hair extensions...and it's the good stuff! LOL. The shoot took place at the photographer's studio in Oakland, CA. My call time for makeup and hair was 9:30am.

There were three models total, including myself and the cool thing was that each of us got our own hair stylist to put in the extensions. There was one makeup artist and I loved how she did my makeup. I got that done first then I was sent to get my hair prepped.

The company's rep, who was also the person that chose us for the shoot, was there in the role of Creative Director. She basically worked with the photographer, Curtis Jermany, to make sure that he captured the images NSG wanted for its website, marketing materials and other printed items for showcasing the product.

I had to get most of my hair braided into cornrows for them to attach the extensions and the lady who did the braiding (bless her heart) was so rough that I was tearing up throughout the process. I never get my hair braided and I have sensitive scalp so having the pressure of pulling, braiding and tension gave me the biggest headache. But she did let me know to say if she was doing too much but I got used to it and just sucked it up. Thankfully, she's super skilled at braiding fast so she was done in about 20-25 minutes. Because my eyes had been tearing up, it kind of messed up my eye makeup so I had to get it retouched, haha. There's no beauty without pain, that's for sure!

Each model took turns doing solo shots, which were beauty oriented, meaning they were taken from the shoulder up. The shoot overall took about 7 hours total so it was a long day but a fun one, of course. Who can complain about sitting around getting pampered, having my hair and makeup done and taking pretty pictures?

I got to wear a denim type sundress, which was a bit big on me so they pinned the back as best as they could. Because the images were from the shoulders up, I kept my jeans on underneath but did put on my heels so that I could get into my "model mode" with posing. NSG is also looking for a spokesmodel for the company.

So far I'm in the running but because they're revamping everything, it will take a while for them to get around to solidifying the spokesmodeling position. I should get the final images in another 2 weeks but I did get one image from the photographer, as well as behind the scenes flicks, which were taken by the studio's intern, John. Thanks to him, I got some fun images to remember the experience.

I'm on the left. We laid on the floor for quite a while (my butt was so numb, haha). This was the last shot of the day and the only one with all of the models together.
Checking my makeup in the mirror.
Getting my lip color touched up.
Me in between shots in my size 2 dress that was so not a true size 2! I was thinking about my next pose.
Thinking about my next pose again in between shots.
John, the intern, has a knack for capturing candids of me where it actually looks like I was posing. I think I was spacing out, looking at the other models getting their makeup done, haha.
Me in action on set. Just another day at the "office." :-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Modeling & Pay Rates: How Much Should You Charge?

(This post is more targeted towards freelance models and not those with agency representation, although it may apply to those that have an agent but continue to find their own work.) A part of being a successful model is making money from the jobs that you book. However, being a freelance model comes with many challenges--figuring out what you should charge is one of them. I will say upfront that there are no established black and white rules when it comes to pay rates. Each modeling job is different, each client is different and budgets vary. Ultimately the factors that should influence what you charge should be the amount of experience you have, the strength of the images in your portfolio and the client's budget/needs. Not every client is going to pay what you want to charge. There may be times when you will be skipped over for charging too much or taken advantage of for charging too little. It's going to happen so be prepared for it and do not take it personally. It

Modeling and Weight

One of the first things I hear potential models ask is what the weight requirement for modeling is. Sometimes that is the main issue they worry about when it comes to pursuing modeling. Let me tell you right now that weight should NOT be one of those concerns. Obviously, the height requirement reigns supreme when measuring up to the modeling standards sought out by agencies. If you meet the height requirements--whether it's for fashion and runway or commercial/print--that is the first step towards starting on the path to modeling. How much you weigh shouldn't be your biggest fear. It is rare that anyone can look at someone and say, "Oh, my gosh, he/she looks like they are 5 pounds over our weight requirement!" It just isn't realistic. If you look at many modeling agency websites, they clearly list the age and height requirements--rarely, if at all do they list any weight restrictions. The general rule of thumb when it comes to weight is that for models who

What Are Male Models Supposed to Look Like?

The modeling world is filled with women. That's never been a secret and sadly, that often means male models fall by the wayside. There are successful male models in all categories across the industry but the fact that the modeling business revolves around women can make it challenging for newbies to figure out how to pursue their goals of male modeling. It is important to know that because there are different types of modeling categories out there, that means there are also different types of male models. They aren't all supposed to look alike and what ends up being in demand does change every year. Let's break down the common attributes that come with male modeling in various popular categories, shall we? THE MALE FASHION/RUNWAY/EDITORIAL MODEL These are the typical types of models most of us tend to think of when it comes to men in modeling. What is important to know and understand if you're an aspiring male model is that agencies have all different looks