Skip to main content

Answering a Reader Question #38

Anonymous Wrote:

I really love this blog you have! You have helped so many people! I have a question though.

I'll give a little unnecessary back history lol (you can skip it if you want to to the last paragraph).

I'm 15, I was a little kid model/actress, but my mom wanted me to focus on school. She's now letting me decide for myself if I want to pursue it again. I've decided that because of my height (5'10ish) that I should model (which I love to do) and transition into acting (which I also love to do) when I get older. While I work on my inches (I'm about 3 inches off on my hips and waist), we're also wondering what to do with my hair. I've had it relaxed before, but stopped when I was eight and have gotten it straightened for awhile now.

I'm African-American, so I was wondering do you suggest getting my hair relaxed or straightening it?

Sorry for how long this is.


Thank you for the kind words and never apologize for the length of a question. As you can see, I have a bad habit of writing really long posts and responses lol. As far as your hair goes, I would recommend choosing the method that is more convenient for you and is the best for the health of your hair. If straightening is what you've been doing then you should stick to it. I heard a recent horror story of a young lady who wanted to try relaxing her hair after using straightening as her method for years. Unfortunately, she had a bad case and lost a lot of hair due to the chemicals...even though she used to get it relaxed back in the day, for whatever reason her hair did not take well to the process at all. For that reason alone I would suggest being very wary of introducing your hair to relaxing chemicals. I have been relaxing my hair for many, many years so my experiences have been good because that's all my hair has known (plus tons of deep conditioning treatments!).

However, if you do choose to relax, go to a pro at a salon and get someone you trust to do it for you...maybe do a test strand first and see what happens. It's better to be safe than sorry, especially when it comes to your hair. But if you've had successful results with straightening then stick to what you know best.

Hope that helps and good luck on your future endeavors with getting back into the industry!!!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi,
Why not try one of the new Keratin hair straightening treatemnts, such as Escova Progress.
It works on all types of hair, even heavily treated locks and softens the hair as well as leaving it pin straight.
If you can't find a salon providing the treatment (or you get put off by the crazy prices) you can buy it onine and easily apply it yourself AND get the same awesome results...
Try www.escovaprogress.com - they post from Brazil and as a professional stylist, I find their product is one of the best on the market...

Good luck with the modelling babe
Anonymous said…
Thanks so much for answering my question! I was debating about that. I've heard the horror stories that's why I was so wary lol.
And thanks Anon too, I'll try and look it up.

Popular posts from this blog

Modeling & Pay Rates: How Much Should You Charge?

(This post is more targeted towards freelance models and not those with agency representation, although it may apply to those that have an agent but continue to find their own work.) A part of being a successful model is making money from the jobs that you book. However, being a freelance model comes with many challenges--figuring out what you should charge is one of them. I will say upfront that there are no established black and white rules when it comes to pay rates. Each modeling job is different, each client is different and budgets vary. Ultimately the factors that should influence what you charge should be the amount of experience you have, the strength of the images in your portfolio and the client's budget/needs. Not every client is going to pay what you want to charge. There may be times when you will be skipped over for charging too much or taken advantage of for charging too little. It's going to happen so be prepared for it and do not take it personally. It

What Are Male Models Supposed to Look Like?

The modeling world is filled with women. That's never been a secret and sadly, that often means male models fall by the wayside. There are successful male models in all categories across the industry but the fact that the modeling business revolves around women can make it challenging for newbies to figure out how to pursue their goals of male modeling. It is important to know that because there are different types of modeling categories out there, that means there are also different types of male models. They aren't all supposed to look alike and what ends up being in demand does change every year. Let's break down the common attributes that come with male modeling in various popular categories, shall we? THE MALE FASHION/RUNWAY/EDITORIAL MODEL These are the typical types of models most of us tend to think of when it comes to men in modeling. What is important to know and understand if you're an aspiring male model is that agencies have all different looks

Modeling and Weight

One of the first things I hear potential models ask is what the weight requirement for modeling is. Sometimes that is the main issue they worry about when it comes to pursuing modeling. Let me tell you right now that weight should NOT be one of those concerns. Obviously, the height requirement reigns supreme when measuring up to the modeling standards sought out by agencies. If you meet the height requirements--whether it's for fashion and runway or commercial/print--that is the first step towards starting on the path to modeling. How much you weigh shouldn't be your biggest fear. It is rare that anyone can look at someone and say, "Oh, my gosh, he/she looks like they are 5 pounds over our weight requirement!" It just isn't realistic. If you look at many modeling agency websites, they clearly list the age and height requirements--rarely, if at all do they list any weight restrictions. The general rule of thumb when it comes to weight is that for models who