The path towards becoming an Abercrombie & Fitch model isn't exactly traditional and even I am intrigued by the casting process they use. For those of you that want to know how to become an A&F model, you'll want to check out this post.
1. You have to be 18 or older. Unfortunately, the nature of A&F shoots are pretty sexy and even adult in a sense and as such, their models are required to be of age. (Of course there is A&F kid models but that comes later).
2. You have to work at an A&F store. No lie! In order to be considered for any of the company's ad campaigns and photoshoots, they actually turn to their own employees to recruit models. So if you're looking for a job in retail and feel you've got what it takes, fill out a job application at your nearest A&F store and get hired. That's the first step to getting your foot in the door.
3. Put in work. Once you've started working at A&F, you'll become eligible to submit yourself for their model castings. This part of the process involves:
- Going to the A&F website and clicking on the link for "Casting."
- A side menu will appear. Click on "Submit Photos."
- Fill out the form and upload your pictures. The form will ask for the store number of the A&F location where you work so you can't fake it if you really don't work there!
4. Attend their castings. A&F also holds open castings at various areas throughout the year. In order to get information about the specific dates and locations, you'll have to ask your store manager. Interestingly enough, the castings are also open to employees of A&F, Hollister, Ruehl, or Gilly Hicks.
Want to become a model for Abercrombie Kids?
So I've searched a lot of different sites, including the A&F site, and the information regarding how to be an Abercrombie kid model is a bit conflicting/confusing. I've tried to make some sense of most of it though:
- The minimum age requirement is 13, however they are known to hire older teen models who look younger, but the general age of Abercrombie Kid models is 13-17.
- If you are of working age but under 18, you can apply to be an employee at your local Abercrombie Kids store. Then you will be eligible for recruitment for marketing campaigns and will have access to casting information. I'm not sure what the age range requirements are for working at an Abercrombie Kids store but I'm sure it varies by state, child labor laws, work permits, etc. (That kind of information I don't know so you'd have to do some online research or simply call the store to ask).
- They prefer their kid models to be at least 5'5" in height.
- You can be considered for castings if you have agency representation. For those unable to work at a store, having an agent can allow you to be submitted for castings specifically for Abercrombie Kids campaigns.
- Send your pictures via snail mail to:
720 Fifth Avenue
Attn: 8th Floor
New York, NY 10019
I wasn't able to find out whether they prefer professional or non professional photos so it's up to you to decide.
- About a Model's Diary: How It All Began
- Dania Denise Resume
- What This Blog is For
- Working with Dania Denise
- Mentoring, Coaching & Consultation Services
- The New "Answering a Reader Question" Series...Video Reply Version!!!
- Modeling 101 Blog FAQ
- Where Do You Start in Modeling?
- How Modeling 101 Helped Me
- Guide to Modeling 101 Labels/Category Section
WELCOME TO MODELING 101!!!
There is more to the modeling world than the media lets on. If you want to find out what it really takes and how to manage your modeling career, then you've come to the right place! This blog is dedicated to the aspiring and already established models who live to defy the standards and stereotypes in order to make a place for themselves in this crazy industry.