Skip to main content

My Casting Call Experience: BMG Models

I recently took a road trip down to Los Angeles to interview with a designer about being a potential model for her upcoming line and I figured since I was going to be in the area, I may as well see if I could kill two birds with one stone by attending any open casting calls what were available during the dates that I would be there.

The one that ended up making the cut was BMG Models. Known for representing both fashion and print models, I made sure to have all my stuff ready: portfolio, headshot and resume.

After taking care of my interview, which went really well, I stayed overnight at a friend's and prepared for the open casting call the next day. BMG holds their open calls every Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 4:00pm - 5:00pm. I went on a Wednesday with one of my friends in tow for support. I wore form-fitting, dark jeans, my taupe 4-inch heels and a form fitting, dark green tank top.

After stepping off the elevator we searched for the right suite and opened the door. There was no one in the lobby so that was good. I wasn't sure if I was going to have to deal with a long line. There was one other guy behind us but it turned out that he was a music artist and had an appointment for an interview (BMG also represents music artists). There was no receptionist or secretary and it took a minute for someone to walk out and see that we were there.

A man came out and asked us if we had an appointment or were there for the open call. After telling him, he asked to take my portfolio and I made sure to also give him my headshot and resume. He asked us to take a seat in the lobby and that he would take my portfolio and information to their office to look over.

I thought it was odd that I wasn't invited to go in and meet with them and was a bit nervous about the fact that they would be reviewing my portfolio without me there but hey, there was nothing else I could do so I sat with my friend and made small talk.

After about 10 minutes, a woman came into the lobby and asked me to sign in. The sheet asked for my name, age, height, phone number and email address. I quickly glanced at the other people who signed in before me and by far I was the shortest. Their lifestyle/print division's minimum height requirement was 5'6" so I already knew there may be an issue with the one inch I was lacking. I put my 5'5" height and crossed my fingers. Once again I was left in the lobby and put the clipboard with the sign-in sheet aside.

5 minutes later the same woman came back with my portfolio and handed it back to me. She was nice and asked if I was interested in commercial acting as well. I told her I was and she said that they would keep my headshot and resume to look over later on that day and if they felt I would a good fit they would be in touch. She didn't say when though. And that was it.

It was definitely one of the more out of the ordinary casting calls I'd been to since they didn't ask to see me themselves but I tried not to think too much about it. If it's meant to be they'll give me a call. And if I don't hear back from them, it's all good, I'll just keep pounding the pavement until I find the right agency for me.

Comments

Cameron said…
I hear ya, I'm considered petite too at 5'7 and I have had the same difficulties. I believe that what God has for you will manifest, especially when you least expect it. All you can do is try, never giving up, and you will reap the benefits!!

Popular posts from this blog

Modeling & Pay Rates: How Much Should You Charge?

(This post is more targeted towards freelance models and not those with agency representation, although it may apply to those that have an agent but continue to find their own work.) A part of being a successful model is making money from the jobs that you book. However, being a freelance model comes with many challenges--figuring out what you should charge is one of them. I will say upfront that there are no established black and white rules when it comes to pay rates. Each modeling job is different, each client is different and budgets vary. Ultimately the factors that should influence what you charge should be the amount of experience you have, the strength of the images in your portfolio and the client's budget/needs. Not every client is going to pay what you want to charge. There may be times when you will be skipped over for charging too much or taken advantage of for charging too little. It's going to happen so be prepared for it and do not take it personally. It

What Are Male Models Supposed to Look Like?

The modeling world is filled with women. That's never been a secret and sadly, that often means male models fall by the wayside. There are successful male models in all categories across the industry but the fact that the modeling business revolves around women can make it challenging for newbies to figure out how to pursue their goals of male modeling. It is important to know that because there are different types of modeling categories out there, that means there are also different types of male models. They aren't all supposed to look alike and what ends up being in demand does change every year. Let's break down the common attributes that come with male modeling in various popular categories, shall we? THE MALE FASHION/RUNWAY/EDITORIAL MODEL These are the typical types of models most of us tend to think of when it comes to men in modeling. What is important to know and understand if you're an aspiring male model is that agencies have all different looks

Modeling and Weight

One of the first things I hear potential models ask is what the weight requirement for modeling is. Sometimes that is the main issue they worry about when it comes to pursuing modeling. Let me tell you right now that weight should NOT be one of those concerns. Obviously, the height requirement reigns supreme when measuring up to the modeling standards sought out by agencies. If you meet the height requirements--whether it's for fashion and runway or commercial/print--that is the first step towards starting on the path to modeling. How much you weigh shouldn't be your biggest fear. It is rare that anyone can look at someone and say, "Oh, my gosh, he/she looks like they are 5 pounds over our weight requirement!" It just isn't realistic. If you look at many modeling agency websites, they clearly list the age and height requirements--rarely, if at all do they list any weight restrictions. The general rule of thumb when it comes to weight is that for models who