Skip to main content

Latest Fashion Show: Bay Area Wedding Fair - San Francisco

I've been doing bridal fashion shows for about two years now and I was very excited for the Fall season, especially for the San Francisco venue, which is the largest and most popular show of the season. The Bay Area Wedding Fair took place last Sunday, September 11 at the Parc 55 Hotel in San Francisco and did not disappoint!

We had a smaller crew of models on hand for this show and I was happy that the accommodations for us were very spacious, compared to smaller venues that the shows are sometimes held at. The team of makeup artists and hair stylists were set up in the changing area for the female models so we had access to their skills throughout the duration of the show. The male models' changing rooms were on the opposite side of the room divider and luckily the stylists agreed to also double up as dressers so we had extra hands available for quick changes.

My call time was 9AM so I got to sleep in for a little bit, which was so lovely since I've been ripping and running for a few weeks straight now! The first thing I did after saying hi to everyone was to check my dresses and make sure the designers brought the right ones. At the last show the zipper on one of my bridal dresses broke and I had to scramble for a replacement in time to get in line to go on stage. I was very happy when I looked in my garment bag and saw that the zipper had been replaced so I didn't have to worry about skipping a dress. Little things like that make life SO much easier during shows!

I decided to get my hair taken care of before makeup since all of the makeup chairs were full. Luckily, one of my best friends and go-to-makeup artists, Sophia, got hired for the event and she promised to let me know when her chair was free. By the time my hair was done, we had to go go through the rehearsal on stage (all models are required to be present at the rehearsal, regardless of whether your makeup and/or hair was done or not). After receiving the lineup/order of models and doing a run through for both shows (there were two shows that day, one for each designer promoting their line), it was back to hair and makeup. Unfortunately, I had to get my hair redone differently since the style originally chosen (long beach waves, which ended up looking frizzy and disheveled) wasn't approved by the model coordinator. Thankfully, they did a much nicer looking up-do with curls and a sparkly headband. But because of the delay with my hair, by the time I got into Sophia's makeup chair, it was almost time to get dressed for the first show. Talk about nerve wreaking! But because I've been doing these shows for so long, I calmed my panic attack, got my foundation, blush and eye liner done, then did a quick change into my first bridal gown and had Sophia finish adding my false lashes and lip color just in time to line up.

The rest of the show was fantastic and went fairly smoothly, although there was one instance where no one was ready to go on stage for one of the scenes after the first model had already gone and even though I was supposed to be the last model according to the lineup sheet, I went out of order to buy time for the other models to change and get on stage. Luckily, that turned out fine and no one in the audience was the wiser!

Here are some flicks I got from the show. I'll be sure to add more as I receive them and hopefully will get some video footage as well:

Dang, I blinked! LOL. With such a large audience, it was bound to happen. Hey, I can't keep my eyes open for pictures the whole time! Walking with my groom, Sam Watson. We did a hilarious skit in the beginning where I walk on stage and sit in the chair that's on the right...when Sam gets on stage I act like I'm totally not interested in him.

Behind the scenes getting my makeup done by one of my BFFs, Sophia Musto. I often hire her for my shoots...she does great work and I knew my face was in good hands! I was also trying to not panic because I was supposed to be getting dressed for the first show!

Modeling a design that's currently for sale at My Day Wedding & Photo Studio, located in San Mateo, California,

Behind the scenes posing in one of my favorite dresses from the second show, which is by Blessed Brides, located in Concord, California.

This time I was paying attention to the right camera, LOL. I wish they had gotten a full body shot because the dress is super cute and short (but in a good way!).


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Modeling & Pay Rates: How Much Should You Charge?

(This post is more targeted towards freelance models and not those with agency representation, although it may apply to those that have an agent but continue to find their own work.) A part of being a successful model is making money from the jobs that you book. However, being a freelance model comes with many challenges--figuring out what you should charge is one of them. I will say upfront that there are no established black and white rules when it comes to pay rates. Each modeling job is different, each client is different and budgets vary. Ultimately the factors that should influence what you charge should be the amount of experience you have, the strength of the images in your portfolio and the client's budget/needs. Not every client is going to pay what you want to charge. There may be times when you will be skipped over for charging too much or taken advantage of for charging too little. It's going to happen so be prepared for it and do not take it personally. It

Modeling and Weight

One of the first things I hear potential models ask is what the weight requirement for modeling is. Sometimes that is the main issue they worry about when it comes to pursuing modeling. Let me tell you right now that weight should NOT be one of those concerns. Obviously, the height requirement reigns supreme when measuring up to the modeling standards sought out by agencies. If you meet the height requirements--whether it's for fashion and runway or commercial/print--that is the first step towards starting on the path to modeling. How much you weigh shouldn't be your biggest fear. It is rare that anyone can look at someone and say, "Oh, my gosh, he/she looks like they are 5 pounds over our weight requirement!" It just isn't realistic. If you look at many modeling agency websites, they clearly list the age and height requirements--rarely, if at all do they list any weight restrictions. The general rule of thumb when it comes to weight is that for models who

What Are Male Models Supposed to Look Like?

The modeling world is filled with women. That's never been a secret and sadly, that often means male models fall by the wayside. There are successful male models in all categories across the industry but the fact that the modeling business revolves around women can make it challenging for newbies to figure out how to pursue their goals of male modeling. It is important to know that because there are different types of modeling categories out there, that means there are also different types of male models. They aren't all supposed to look alike and what ends up being in demand does change every year. Let's break down the common attributes that come with male modeling in various popular categories, shall we? THE MALE FASHION/RUNWAY/EDITORIAL MODEL These are the typical types of models most of us tend to think of when it comes to men in modeling. What is important to know and understand if you're an aspiring male model is that agencies have all different looks