Skip to main content

Latest Shoot: Cisco

After being signed to Scout Management for a little over a month, I got booked my first print job through them! It was for Cisco Systems, which is a huge tech company that's worldwide but based in Silicon Valley. There was no casting or go-see for this gig...I didn't even know about it until my agent called me randomly out of the blue one day and asked me to submit two snapshots of myself to email to her (headshot and full body shot), which she would send to a client that she told me was interested in using me for a print job. At the time she didn't tell me it was for Cisco. After getting my snapshots done, I sent them to her and a few days later she told me I got the gig!

Below are the actual snapshots I sent to my agent. They're terribly unflattering but, hey, like I said, clients see things in these types of pictures that we don't. All I know is that these images got me hired...'nuff said! LOL



A few days before the shoot, my agent emailed me blank vouchers to bring with me on set, which the client would fill out at the end of the day. There were two copies: one for the client to keep and one for me to mail to my agent. The voucher form is what allows my agent to invoice Cisco so that they can get payroll to cut a check. There were both freelance as well as agency represented models hired for this shoot. Freelance models were paid $800 flat. I know the agency repped models will get paid more but I wasn't informed what my actual rate would be, but I'm guessing it's going to be $1,000 (give or take), plus an additional 20%, which is my agent's commission. Both types of models were contracted out for a 10-hour shoot day.

I was playing the role of a college student and was given a call-time of 8AM at Santa Clara University. Similar to the Visa shoot I posted about before this one, Cisco will be using these images for their marketing/advertising campaigns. However, the difference is that these won't be for their stock collection but for their actual campaigns. A representative from Cisco was on-set to help direct the shoot and he told us that our images would be used worldwide in different countries to target certain markets. I thought that was pretty cool! So you international Modeling 101 blog readers, be on the lookout for anything from Cisco either online or in print that you may see me in! ;-)

The production crew set things up in the library of the university on the third floor. We got our own section to store our stuff and I was happy to be on this shoot since it was fully catered. They brought in a bunch of different breakfast and lunch options, as well as coolers filled with beverages. The hair and makeup folks set up in the same room, which was pretty spacious, and the wardrobe stylist had her rack of additional clothing on hand. There were about 15 models total and we were each given instructions as to what wardrobe options to bring to the shoot. I brought along my garment bag and displayed my clothes for the stylist to look over. I got to keep my light pink turtleneck sweater I showed up to the shoot wearing but had to change out of my black skinnies into dark blue, wide-leg pants with black, closed-toe boots. She finished off my look with a really cute pink and red striped scarf. I arrived camera-ready (we were told to have our makeup and hair ready to go just in case the makeup artists didn't get to finish everyone in time for the first shoot). However, the makeup artist did freshen up my face with powder and lip color.

Because there was a large group of models to shoot, we were broken up into smaller chunks and taken to various parts of the school's library, where we were given laptop bags, notebooks, pens and other "props" so that we could accurately portray college students. These were all candid shots with natural expressions and the photographer called out directions from time to time when he needed a specific pose or expression. After shooting in the two library computer rooms, we went outside and shot in front of the library doing stuff like walking around campus, sitting at a table checking our phone, etc. After about 4-5 hours of shooting, we took a one hour break for lunch then moved indoors to one of the cafe areas where more shots were taken and then inside an actual classroom where the additional models--who were older and supposed to portray college professors--came in and pretended to give us a lecture/presentation using the Cisco tech products they wanted to feature.

All in all it was a super long, tiring day but so much fun and the models and crew were really cool to work with. I ended up making three new friends and hope to possibly work with them again in the near future. The production crew said that if I wanted to request photos from the shoot, all I had to do was contact the photographer, which I'll probably end up doing but I definitely want to see if I can get the actual digital tearsheets once the official images have been chosen by Cisco--remember, tearsheets are ALWAYS better than the regular picture by itself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Modeling & Pay Rates: How Much Should You Charge?

(This post is more targeted towards freelance models and not those with agency representation, although it may apply to those that have an agent but continue to find their own work.) A part of being a successful model is making money from the jobs that you book. However, being a freelance model comes with many challenges--figuring out what you should charge is one of them. I will say upfront that there are no established black and white rules when it comes to pay rates. Each modeling job is different, each client is different and budgets vary. Ultimately the factors that should influence what you charge should be the amount of experience you have, the strength of the images in your portfolio and the client's budget/needs. Not every client is going to pay what you want to charge. There may be times when you will be skipped over for charging too much or taken advantage of for charging too little. It's going to happen so be prepared for it and do not take it personally. It

Modeling and Weight

One of the first things I hear potential models ask is what the weight requirement for modeling is. Sometimes that is the main issue they worry about when it comes to pursuing modeling. Let me tell you right now that weight should NOT be one of those concerns. Obviously, the height requirement reigns supreme when measuring up to the modeling standards sought out by agencies. If you meet the height requirements--whether it's for fashion and runway or commercial/print--that is the first step towards starting on the path to modeling. How much you weigh shouldn't be your biggest fear. It is rare that anyone can look at someone and say, "Oh, my gosh, he/she looks like they are 5 pounds over our weight requirement!" It just isn't realistic. If you look at many modeling agency websites, they clearly list the age and height requirements--rarely, if at all do they list any weight restrictions. The general rule of thumb when it comes to weight is that for models who

What Are Male Models Supposed to Look Like?

The modeling world is filled with women. That's never been a secret and sadly, that often means male models fall by the wayside. There are successful male models in all categories across the industry but the fact that the modeling business revolves around women can make it challenging for newbies to figure out how to pursue their goals of male modeling. It is important to know that because there are different types of modeling categories out there, that means there are also different types of male models. They aren't all supposed to look alike and what ends up being in demand does change every year. Let's break down the common attributes that come with male modeling in various popular categories, shall we? THE MALE FASHION/RUNWAY/EDITORIAL MODEL These are the typical types of models most of us tend to think of when it comes to men in modeling. What is important to know and understand if you're an aspiring male model is that agencies have all different looks