WELCOME TO MODELING 101!!!

There is more to the modeling world than the media lets on. If you want to find out what it really takes and how to manage your modeling career, then you've come to the right place! This blog is dedicated to the aspiring and already established models who live to defy the standards and stereotypes in order to make a place for themselves in this crazy industry.

Modeling 101 Followers - I Love You!!!

Follow Modeling 101 with Dania Denise by Email!

Google

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Answering a Reader Question #280

Anonymous Wrote:


Hi Dania, Happy New Years to you too!
I was wondering, for high schoolers applying to colleges would it help at all to mention that you are a model, or would it be a negative thing? Thanks! 


Hi, Anonymous! Happy 2012! :-)

I would actually advise not mentioning modeling when it comes to submitting college applications. Unfortunately, the general public still has a lot of negative conceptions about the modeling industry and reality TV shows haven't really helped to convince them otherwise. The people that review college applications in the admissions office could end up being unfairly judgmental and fall back on the negative stereotypes they associate with modeling. Even if you feel that modeling has contributed positively to your life, they may not see things from your point of view.

When it comes to filling out your college applications, stick to the academics and extracurricular stuff you know will impress them. Being a model is usually pretty cool to friends, family, etc. but college folks...eh, not so much.

Hope that helps and good luck with those college applications!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello! :) Well I'm 16 years old, Native American, and was thinking about doing "modelscouts.com" have you heard of it? but I'm not sure yet. I've had people tell me that I should be a model, but I just always thought I couldn't do it. I can also get insecure sometimes, but people tell me otherwise, so maybe this could be a confidence booster. Any tips? I always thought it would be amazing to model though. :) They are asking for photos and stuff and I'm not sure on what type of poses, do you have any suggestions? By the way, I don't have any experience with modeling yet, so any tips for starters?
Sorry for all the questions! Lol

Dania Denise said...

Hi, Anonymous! You'll find the answer to your question in its own post, titled "Answering a Reader Question #294." Thanks for reading!

Anonymous said...

Okay, thank you! By the way I really love your site! :) It's informative, fun, and cool to get an actual model's views on things. It's great that your doing this and want to help others out. :)

Dania Denise said...

Thank you so much for the kind words...I really appreciate it! I love what I do and am glad that I can help inspire others to go for what they want! :-D