Skip to main content

Dania Denise & "The Modeling 101 - A Model's Diary" Blog Is Back!

Did you guys miss me? 😄

Okay, I know I've got some explaining to do, haha. Even though I haven't posted in a long time, as you can see, I've kept my blog active and I've also continued answering reader questions and publishing responses via my other blog dedicated to that very purpose.

I'm sure you've got questions so I'll make this post an easy one to digest as far as updates in my world goes...

Why Didn't You Keep Your Blog Updated?

Not gonna lie: I was simply too busy. Being an entrepreneur, managing projects, teams, deadlines, and maintaining my own on-camera career had me moving in a million directions. I wasn't in the right mindset -- or had the energy -- to craft the informative, candid, and quality content I used to. 

The last thing I wanted to do was put out subpar posts. That would be a disservice to my readers, many of whom have been following this blog since it was first started all those years ago. I always knew I was going to come back to this blog, the timing just had to be right and I decided now is that time.

Where The Heck Have You Been?

Great question! Since launching my indie film production company, Runaway Mill Productions, I've been spending my time wearing the filmmaking hats of Producer, Writer, Director, Editor & Actor. I've directed several short films, been through the film festival circuit and am currently working on my first feature film, "You Were Just Here," where I'm the writer, director, and lead actor. Making movies is my passion and I've been loving every step in this journey!


Had the pleasure of receiving my first directing award for the short film, "Yvonne Speaks"

BTS on-location directing a film trailer.
BTS directing rehearsals for the short film, "Yvonne Speaks"

BTS working with my actors and cinematographers for the short film, "Yvonne Speaks"

Are You Still Modeling?

Absolutely! I'll never "retire" from modeling. Aside from being busy with acting work, I've been doing print campaigns as well for various brands from wineries and businesses to travel/tourism campaigns. 

One of several winery brands I shot print campaigns for.
From the same winery print campaign as above.
Digital Tearsheet from Sugar Bowl Ski Resort Campaign

Digital Tearsheet from Sugar Bowl Ski Resort Campaign
Digital Tearsheet from Hot Springs Print Campaign
Digital Tearsheet from Roman Hot Springs Resort Print Campaign
Digital Tearsheet from Roman Hot Springs Resort Print Campaign

I also had the pleasure of doing an editorial magazine feature, which I was the Creative Director and stylist for. 

Editorial feature for First Magazine.
Tearsheet from First Magazine.
Tearsheet from First Magazine.
Cover Tearsheet from Penida Magazine
Back Cover Tearsheet from Penida Magazine
Tearsheet from Ossma Magazine

Tearsheet from Ossma Magazine

Fashion shows aren't as plentiful as they were before the pandemic and while I'm always up for opportunities to walk a runway, they haven't been a priority for me. But that doesn't mean I'm not open to that kind of work anymore because I am, it just depends on the designer and opportunity being offered.

Are You Still Coaching Models?

Yes! These days, I'm mainly consulting with models related to things like branding, social media marketing, finding agency representation, etc. The main coaching I've been doing these last few years, however, is acting and pageantry. 

I love coaching actors because of the deep dives we get to do when it comes to topics like getting into character, breaking down scripts/scenes, monologues, you name it. The pageant season really jumped off since last year and I was equally busy spending my time doing zoom sessions with pageant competitors from around the county, as well as doing in-person walking and posing sessions with those local to me.

I spent almost every weekend this past June in Southern California cheering my Queens on. It was quite a summer and I already have ladies lined up to prep for competitions in 2024. It's a never-ending cycle!

My triple threat pageant protege, Jennifer.
Celebrating my teen queen, Angellee's performance
Attending Miss California USA with my gal pal, Ally, who used to be a state titleholder when I was a pageant director in the Miss Petite USA system
Celebrating my teen queen, Jennifer's prelim performance, at Miss California
Celebrating my queen, Alyssa's performance at Miss California
Celebrating my queen, Olivia's performance at Miss California
Social media shoutout from my queen, Alexis, on placing 1st RU at Miss West Coast
My triple threat queen, Jagdeep, at Ms. World America

What Can Readers Expect From Your Blog in 2024 & Onwards?

Aside from the obvious (new content!), I plan on revisiting previous select modeling post topics and giving them a "refresh" of sorts. Not everything in the modeling industry has stayed the same over the years and with the world finally starting to move on after the pandemic, I wanted to make sure you aspiring models out there continued to have the most accurate information.

I'll also continue to share the highlights of my career and various opportunities as they come about. Additionally, I've been thinking about ways to keep this blog relevant and going strong for the foreseeable future and I'm toying with an idea that I'm hoping you, my dear readers, will be able to help me out with. After all, this blog is for you and I want to make sure you're still getting some value from it.

That being said, my next post will be a simple one: a poll that I'm hoping you'll all participate in so that I can get a better idea of what moves to make going forward.

Apologies again for the long absence but I'm back and better than ever and I hope you'll join me for the ride into 2024. Happy holidays to all of you and I'll see you in the New Year!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Modeling & Pay Rates: How Much Should You Charge?

(This post is more targeted towards freelance models and not those with agency representation, although it may apply to those that have an agent but continue to find their own work.) A part of being a successful model is making money from the jobs that you book. However, being a freelance model comes with many challenges--figuring out what you should charge is one of them. I will say upfront that there are no established black and white rules when it comes to pay rates. Each modeling job is different, each client is different and budgets vary. Ultimately the factors that should influence what you charge should be the amount of experience you have, the strength of the images in your portfolio and the client's budget/needs. Not every client is going to pay what you want to charge. There may be times when you will be skipped over for charging too much or taken advantage of for charging too little. It's going to happen so be prepared for it and do not take it personally. It

Modeling and Weight

One of the first things I hear potential models ask is what the weight requirement for modeling is. Sometimes that is the main issue they worry about when it comes to pursuing modeling. Let me tell you right now that weight should NOT be one of those concerns. Obviously, the height requirement reigns supreme when measuring up to the modeling standards sought out by agencies. If you meet the height requirements--whether it's for fashion and runway or commercial/print--that is the first step towards starting on the path to modeling. How much you weigh shouldn't be your biggest fear. It is rare that anyone can look at someone and say, "Oh, my gosh, he/she looks like they are 5 pounds over our weight requirement!" It just isn't realistic. If you look at many modeling agency websites, they clearly list the age and height requirements--rarely, if at all do they list any weight restrictions. The general rule of thumb when it comes to weight is that for models who

What Are Male Models Supposed to Look Like?

The modeling world is filled with women. That's never been a secret and sadly, that often means male models fall by the wayside. There are successful male models in all categories across the industry but the fact that the modeling business revolves around women can make it challenging for newbies to figure out how to pursue their goals of male modeling. It is important to know that because there are different types of modeling categories out there, that means there are also different types of male models. They aren't all supposed to look alike and what ends up being in demand does change every year. Let's break down the common attributes that come with male modeling in various popular categories, shall we? THE MALE FASHION/RUNWAY/EDITORIAL MODEL These are the typical types of models most of us tend to think of when it comes to men in modeling. What is important to know and understand if you're an aspiring male model is that agencies have all different looks