Skip to main content

My Daily Diet/Health Routine

Since I talked about my beauty and skin care routine, I figured I may as well follow up that post with one about my health and daily diet. Being 5'4" I like to keep my weight range between 115-125 lbs. No more, no less. I have never done a "diet" in my life so when I use the word "diet" here I'm simply referring to my daily eating habits.

I've been lucky that my agent has never asked me to lose a pound--yet another benefit of being a commercial/print model, but that doesn't mean that I don't pay attention to what I eat.

It's actually pretty easy to maintain a good and healthy weight without being a slave to counting calories or crash-dieting. All it takes is some discipline and routine.

Eats

I eat 5-6 small meals a day. My main meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner) are smaller portions that are no bigger than the size of my palm or hand. You'll find that eating smaller more frequent meals and snacks throughout the day works wonders for keeping your metabolism constantly burning calories, not to mention that eating so often keeps you fuller throughout the day.

This can help you avoid over-eating in one sitting. How many of us have been starving for dinner after not eating since lunchtime? This meal plan is ideal for helping you maintain your weight so if you're at a good number, you'll be able to prevent excessively shedding or gaining--for the ladies we all know that our "time of the month" accounts for extra weight due to water gain--that's something we won't be able to change. LOL.

So here is a list of the foods that I choose from for this eating plan--and no, I don't eat all of these at once haha it's just a list:

BREAKFAST

1. Cereal

2. Oatmeal

3. 1 Pop Tart

4. Large cup of hot chocolate (keeps me full until lunchtime if I don't really feel like eating solid food and is a great source of calcium)

5. Smoothie

6. Breakfast sandwich

LUNCH

1. Oven roasted turkey sandwich on white or wheat bread with mayo, cheese, lettuce and tomatoes

2. Leftovers from dinner (small portion)

3. Small portion of pasta

4. Panini sandwich

DINNER

1. Pasta with chopped/sliced beef or chicken

2. Sushi (yes, the raw fish in addition to miso soup and other dishes. Salmon both cooked and raw are great sources of omega-3 fatty acids, which help keep good cholesterol up and bad cholesterol down, is good for your heart and is known to provide natural anti-aging properties)

3. Portion of steak with veggies

4. Rice with a mix of hard-boiled eggs and diced tomatoes (with salt added for taste)

5. Pizza (yes, I allow myself the good stuff!)

SNACKS (for in between meals)

1. Can of mandarin orange slices in light syrup

2. 1 Rice Krispie Treat or granola bar

3. Fresh fruit (banana, plum, cherries, strawberries, etc.)

4. Smoothie

5. Can of sliced peaches or pear halves

6. 1 Pop Tart

Drinks/Beverages


  •  I drink water throughout the day and keep a bottle of it near me at all times.
  • During lunch I drink one (1) Capri Sun or some other type of fruit juice
  • I also like to enjoy decaf tea
  • Hot Chocolate: this stuff keeps me full for a long time but I usually only drink it in the morning for breakfast or as a snack after lunch and before dinner

I also take a daily multivitamin each day after lunch or dinner. I love the Women's One A Day with added calcium. You'd be surprised how much better your body feels and reacts once you start taking a daily multivitamin!

As far as exercise goes, I actually don't do much. I've been blessed with a fast metabolism and great genes so unfortunately, I can't provide too much detailed info/tips on that, unfortunately, but below is a great workout routine that I sometimes use when I'm feeling like I'm getting a bit too "comfortable" with my eating habits, haha:

http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/health/fitness/g134/fitness-plan-two-weeks-oct06/

But I also know the importance of getting a good night's sleep. No busy schedule is worth wreaking havoc on my looks so when I know I'm doing too much, I try to take a time out and go to bed early or I'll squeeze a cat nap in on the weekends if possible.

Comments

Amber said…
Wow - it's great that you're so educated and take such great care of your body. I definitely agree with you about how important sleep is. That's the number one factor I consider when I try to stay healthy. No matter how much homework I have, I put my health ahead of everything and I would much rather leave an essay unwritten and sleep well than pull an all-nighter doing homework or studying.
Kelsey said…
I am almost 17 years old and modeling has always intrigued, yet frightened me. I am 5'5, so would commercial/print be my only option. I am 130 now but plan to lose weight. Also, how could I become comfortable in a shoot and what should I do before looking into an official agency?
Dania Denise said…
Hi, Kelsey! You'll find the answer to your questions in its own post, titled "Answering a Reader Question #510," which can be found on my new blog: "Modeling 101 - Answering Readers Questions."

Please visit this link: http://amodelsdiary-readerquestions.blogspot.com/ and you can view your post there. Thanks for reading!
Sam said…
love this thank you!

Popular posts from this blog

Modeling & Pay Rates: How Much Should You Charge?

(This post is more targeted towards freelance models and not those with agency representation, although it may apply to those that have an agent but continue to find their own work.) A part of being a successful model is making money from the jobs that you book. However, being a freelance model comes with many challenges--figuring out what you should charge is one of them. I will say upfront that there are no established black and white rules when it comes to pay rates. Each modeling job is different, each client is different and budgets vary. Ultimately the factors that should influence what you charge should be the amount of experience you have, the strength of the images in your portfolio and the client's budget/needs. Not every client is going to pay what you want to charge. There may be times when you will be skipped over for charging too much or taken advantage of for charging too little. It's going to happen so be prepared for it and do not take it personally. It

What Are Male Models Supposed to Look Like?

The modeling world is filled with women. That's never been a secret and sadly, that often means male models fall by the wayside. There are successful male models in all categories across the industry but the fact that the modeling business revolves around women can make it challenging for newbies to figure out how to pursue their goals of male modeling. It is important to know that because there are different types of modeling categories out there, that means there are also different types of male models. They aren't all supposed to look alike and what ends up being in demand does change every year. Let's break down the common attributes that come with male modeling in various popular categories, shall we? THE MALE FASHION/RUNWAY/EDITORIAL MODEL These are the typical types of models most of us tend to think of when it comes to men in modeling. What is important to know and understand if you're an aspiring male model is that agencies have all different looks

Modeling and Weight

One of the first things I hear potential models ask is what the weight requirement for modeling is. Sometimes that is the main issue they worry about when it comes to pursuing modeling. Let me tell you right now that weight should NOT be one of those concerns. Obviously, the height requirement reigns supreme when measuring up to the modeling standards sought out by agencies. If you meet the height requirements--whether it's for fashion and runway or commercial/print--that is the first step towards starting on the path to modeling. How much you weigh shouldn't be your biggest fear. It is rare that anyone can look at someone and say, "Oh, my gosh, he/she looks like they are 5 pounds over our weight requirement!" It just isn't realistic. If you look at many modeling agency websites, they clearly list the age and height requirements--rarely, if at all do they list any weight restrictions. The general rule of thumb when it comes to weight is that for models who