Skip to main content

What's My Secret?

I get a lot of emails from new models (and established) with questions about how I do certain things or deal with certain things. So I thought it would be fun to do a Q&A post to answer some common questions that I tend to get from inquiring minds. Remember, not all the things that work for one person means that it will work for everyone. With time and experience you'll eventually learn what works for you. When you find something good, stick with it!

What's My Secret When It Comes To...

SKIN CARE?

A: Having eczema and stretch marks, I've always been super aware of my skin and do my best to beef up my skin care efforts to maintain "good skin." I cleanse, tone and moisturize once in the morning and before I go to bed. When I take a shower I use a long handle body brush to exfoliate from head to toe to remove layers of dead skin. I keep my skin moisturized to ward off wrinkles and flaking skin. I also use eye cream, which I apply not only to the area underneath my eye but my lids as well. To treat my breakouts of eczema I turn to a special cream and I religiously drink water daily.

MAKEUP & BEAUTY?

A: I do NOT wear makeup on a daily basis. When I'm not working, I go without. At most I will apply concealer to my under eye area to combat dark under eye circles, which I get when I've worked too late into the night. Aside from that, I'll dab translucent, pressed powder to take care of my oily areas and that's it. Instead of applying mascara I simply curl them and go. No lip stick either, just clear gloss or regular lip balm.

I get my eyebrows threaded professionally and I chemically relax my hair myself (I don't encourage this if you don't know what you are doing). I always make sure my toes have French tips and I keep my fingernails free of acrylic nails and nail color. For shoots I make sure to file them, clean the gunk underneath and apply clear polish. And when I do have makeup on, the first thing I do when I get home is wash it completely off. When I've been working a lot and subject my complexion to daily makeup I'll use a soothing facial mask at home to refresh and renew my skin.

DIET?

A: I don't diet and I don't count calories. Never have, probably never will. I eat 5-6 small meals a day and make water my main beverage of choice. I don't drink coffee, energy drinks or soda. On weekends I'll have a small can of Sierra Mist, Sprite, or a glass of lemonade--which I love! In between breakfast, lunch and dinner I eat mainly fruit (fresh or canned).

I favor deli sandwiches and make dinner my heaviest meal of the day (pasta, meat, etc). I reduce my portions and learn to not overeat. I don't live by the scale, either. I'll weigh myself maybe once a month or every other month--I tend to not think about it. But because it is important to know your statistics I like to check to make sure I'm within my normal range. I don't fret if I've gained a few pounds.

For example, I list myself at 115 lbs, which is my normal weight. But if I happen to gain 3 pounds, I'm not going to update my stats and say I'm 118...it's not that serious. Now if I was at 120 and found myself staying at that weight for whatever reason then I'll update it. Then again, you have to remember I am a commercial/print model and do not suffer under the same scrutiny that fashion and runway models do. With my busy schedule I also stay pretty active and having a fast metabolism doesn't hurt!

DEALING WITH THE HEIGHT ISSUE?

A: I've learned a long time ago to not feel sorry for myself because I'm not tall enough to do fashion and runway. I accept my height and work with what I have instead of spending time wishing for what I am not. While I am human and get down about things sometimes, I do my best to look at the glass as half full.

For example, as I do my agency hunt and come across agencies that want girls 5'8" or taller, I don't say to myself, "Oh, man, I wish I were taller." Instead, I say to myself, "Oh, man, I wish they took on shorter models." It's subtle, but that frame of mind makes a huge difference.

SUCCESS?

A: The meaning of being "successful" is different for me than for others. While many praise me for being successful in modeling, I continue to push harder. I don't like to get content or complacent with where I am at in my career. To me, I can always do something bigger and better. One of my goals is to become a household name and I feel that modeling can help me achieve that in one form or another.

With each great milestone I hit (getting a magazine cover, appearing on TV, working with a huge client) I definitely celebrate but within a week--maybe even a matter of days--I'm already pushing that success behind me and planning what bigger opportunity I can tackle next. Call me a perfectionist, but we are our own worst critics and I think I push myself harder than my family and friends combined.

I don't know what drives me so much but I just believe that if I can accomplish one thing then that means I can definitely accomplish whatever comes my way. Each day I spend a significant amount of time submitting myself to castings where I can find them, which is why I am online so much when I am not working.

I thrive on being one of the first to submit to a project. I check Model Mayhem, Craig's List, and SF Casting 5-6 times a day when I am able to be home. I never let an opportunity get past me and I think it's that determination and stronghold I have on my career that has allowed me to get as far as I have...and I plan to get a lot farther, trust me!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Modeling & Pay Rates: How Much Should You Charge?

(This post is more targeted towards freelance models and not those with agency representation, although it may apply to those that have an agent but continue to find their own work.) A part of being a successful model is making money from the jobs that you book. However, being a freelance model comes with many challenges--figuring out what you should charge is one of them. I will say upfront that there are no established black and white rules when it comes to pay rates. Each modeling job is different, each client is different and budgets vary. Ultimately the factors that should influence what you charge should be the amount of experience you have, the strength of the images in your portfolio and the client's budget/needs. Not every client is going to pay what you want to charge. There may be times when you will be skipped over for charging too much or taken advantage of for charging too little. It's going to happen so be prepared for it and do not take it personally. It

Modeling and Weight

One of the first things I hear potential models ask is what the weight requirement for modeling is. Sometimes that is the main issue they worry about when it comes to pursuing modeling. Let me tell you right now that weight should NOT be one of those concerns. Obviously, the height requirement reigns supreme when measuring up to the modeling standards sought out by agencies. If you meet the height requirements--whether it's for fashion and runway or commercial/print--that is the first step towards starting on the path to modeling. How much you weigh shouldn't be your biggest fear. It is rare that anyone can look at someone and say, "Oh, my gosh, he/she looks like they are 5 pounds over our weight requirement!" It just isn't realistic. If you look at many modeling agency websites, they clearly list the age and height requirements--rarely, if at all do they list any weight restrictions. The general rule of thumb when it comes to weight is that for models who

What Are Male Models Supposed to Look Like?

The modeling world is filled with women. That's never been a secret and sadly, that often means male models fall by the wayside. There are successful male models in all categories across the industry but the fact that the modeling business revolves around women can make it challenging for newbies to figure out how to pursue their goals of male modeling. It is important to know that because there are different types of modeling categories out there, that means there are also different types of male models. They aren't all supposed to look alike and what ends up being in demand does change every year. Let's break down the common attributes that come with male modeling in various popular categories, shall we? THE MALE FASHION/RUNWAY/EDITORIAL MODEL These are the typical types of models most of us tend to think of when it comes to men in modeling. What is important to know and understand if you're an aspiring male model is that agencies have all different looks