Skip to main content

Creating a Relationship with the Camera

(This post can be used by all types of models but will be mainly beneficial to those specializing in commercial/print and lifestyle, where the poses and themes are much more natural.)

"Make love to the camera!" is a commonly referenced statement whenever it comes to photoshoots and modeling. While a bit exaggerated, the meaning behind the statement rings true. While no one expects you to literally "make love" to the camera, it is important that models know how to develop a relationship with this seemingly "artificial" piece of equipment.

Real photoshoots are more than just pointing and shooting a model. Amazing images are those that capture special moments that can't be achieved without the talents of the model and the photographer's timing. Many new models have a tendency to get nervous or apprehensive about appearing in front of a camera. The key is to develop a level of comfort and establish a "relationship" of sorts that allows you to be uninhibited and unfazed by anything going on around you.

Whenever I shoot, I cancel out everything around me...all that matters is what's going on between me and the camera. Sure, there's a human being behind the lens but, for me, it isn't even about the photographer. I focus on the camera by giving it humanistic traits. For example, I'll envision the camera itself as a person. Depending on the shoot/theme/concept, my "character" and who the camera becomes are related to one another.

One example of this is a lifestyle shoot I did a while back in San Francisco. It was a simple, natural light shoot that took place in the photographer's apartment/studio. We wanted the images to appear as "intimate" as possible by creating poses, expressions, gestures, etc. that appeared as if I was having a private moment with my boyfriend and someone just happened to capture the exchange.





To build my relationship with the camera for this shoot, I envisioned the camera as my boyfriend, my lover, my confidant. I knew that my eye contact would be the selling point of the images, even if I wasn't looking at the camera. Ladies and fellas, think about how you gaze at your significant other when you've in love. Your entire face is relaxed, soft and endearing. This type of look being given to the camera differs greatly from a high fashion or editorial shoot where that type of eye contact is edgier, direct, wild-eyed and intensely focused.

Even when I wasn't looking directly at the camera, I kept that relationship between the camera and myself going. If I was looking away, I pretended I was reacting to my imaginary companion...I stayed "in the moment." As I've stated before, modeling is similar to acting when you have to embody a persona that may or may not reflect how you are in real life.

I like to romanticize the nature of the relationship between model and camera because, if you think about it, this connection is the strongest during the entire process of the shoot. Unless you're truly able to develop that comfort level with the camera, no amount of posing, expressions or gestures will produce accurately genuine results. Don't think of the camera as a thing or an "it"...think of the camera as a "who." By doing this, with time and experience, I guarantee you'll strengthen your skills as a model that constantly puts out amazing photos.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Modeling & Pay Rates: How Much Should You Charge?

(This post is more targeted towards freelance models and not those with agency representation, although it may apply to those that have an agent but continue to find their own work.) A part of being a successful model is making money from the jobs that you book. However, being a freelance model comes with many challenges--figuring out what you should charge is one of them. I will say upfront that there are no established black and white rules when it comes to pay rates. Each modeling job is different, each client is different and budgets vary. Ultimately the factors that should influence what you charge should be the amount of experience you have, the strength of the images in your portfolio and the client's budget/needs. Not every client is going to pay what you want to charge. There may be times when you will be skipped over for charging too much or taken advantage of for charging too little. It's going to happen so be prepared for it and do not take it personally. It

Modeling and Weight

One of the first things I hear potential models ask is what the weight requirement for modeling is. Sometimes that is the main issue they worry about when it comes to pursuing modeling. Let me tell you right now that weight should NOT be one of those concerns. Obviously, the height requirement reigns supreme when measuring up to the modeling standards sought out by agencies. If you meet the height requirements--whether it's for fashion and runway or commercial/print--that is the first step towards starting on the path to modeling. How much you weigh shouldn't be your biggest fear. It is rare that anyone can look at someone and say, "Oh, my gosh, he/she looks like they are 5 pounds over our weight requirement!" It just isn't realistic. If you look at many modeling agency websites, they clearly list the age and height requirements--rarely, if at all do they list any weight restrictions. The general rule of thumb when it comes to weight is that for models who

What Are Male Models Supposed to Look Like?

The modeling world is filled with women. That's never been a secret and sadly, that often means male models fall by the wayside. There are successful male models in all categories across the industry but the fact that the modeling business revolves around women can make it challenging for newbies to figure out how to pursue their goals of male modeling. It is important to know that because there are different types of modeling categories out there, that means there are also different types of male models. They aren't all supposed to look alike and what ends up being in demand does change every year. Let's break down the common attributes that come with male modeling in various popular categories, shall we? THE MALE FASHION/RUNWAY/EDITORIAL MODEL These are the typical types of models most of us tend to think of when it comes to men in modeling. What is important to know and understand if you're an aspiring male model is that agencies have all different looks