Skip to main content

Balancing Modeling & a Job


Aside from balancing modeling and school, there are many models that hold down part-time and even full-time jobs. You may be wondering how honest you should be with your employer about your other interests or if you should even say anything at all.

I can only speak for myself and my experiences, so what I’m saying here isn’t part of a rulebook or anything. In the past, I have let an employer know that I modeled and did acting on the side. They seemed pretty supportive of it but as time went on and my modeling career started to take off, I ended up having to put work on the backburner, which my company obviously did not appreciate.

While they told me in the beginning that they were fine with what I did, they ended up using it against me later on. And I wasn’t even missing days of work—just the mere fact that there was something in my life that demanded my attention other than my company did not sit well with them.

When it comes to the corporate world or any company you work for, they are going to want your loyalty first and foremost. Even if they claim they are cool with you having outside interests, in reality they could care less and many find it threatening to them when an employee has talents or interests that don’t benefit the company.

That being said, if you hold down a full-time job (part-time jobs are usually easier to work around), my best advice would be to not state openly that you are a model, not to your boss or your coworker—even coworkers you consider friends.

Even just telling someone in general that you model comes with its own onset of stereotypes, assumptions, judgments, etc. Imagine that going on where you work! I personally do not bring my modeling career into the workplace because the last thing I want is someone from work to be in my business. The lower I fly under the radar, the better.

However, don’t get sloppy while on the job. I do my best to play by the rules and make sure that I make up hours that I’ve missed or had the PTO (paid time off) to take a day off of work. I make sure to keep my reasons for being late, taking a long lunch, or missing a day very broad/vague. You can’t let one outweigh the other or else you may come to a crossroads where you’ll have to make a choice between your job and modeling.

I recognize that for me, it is not realistic to be able to live off of my modeling career alone, which is why I pursued my B.A. in college and now hold down a steady job in addition to owning and operating my own art business. In a perfect world, I’ll be able to do the art business from home and not need a full-time corporate job, which would open me up to pursue modeling and travel the way I would like.

Till that day comes and I’m in the right position to take advantage of such an opportunity, I play by my company’s rules. When a shoot or go-see comes up, I do my best to do it on my lunch hour. There are ways around these things that just come from experience as well as trial and error.

Sometimes things are just better left unsaid. It is up to you individually to decide if you should tell your employer about your modeling career or not. Make a list of the pros and cons and just make sure you can perfect the balancing act.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hey! I was just doing my regular routine and checking up on all my fellow bloggers and came along to your blog. And I read every single post on the front page (I know that's not so impressive), but I have to say that I really love your writing and the information that you provide about the modeling industry is really informative! The way you write is easy to read, yet written in an intellectual manner, which shows that you are very smart. I usually don't read all the blogs that I pass by, but I definitely will read all of your posts! Well, keep up the good work and stop by my blog when you have the time!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Modeling & Pay Rates: How Much Should You Charge?

(This post is more targeted towards freelance models and not those with agency representation, although it may apply to those that have an agent but continue to find their own work.) A part of being a successful model is making money from the jobs that you book. However, being a freelance model comes with many challenges--figuring out what you should charge is one of them. I will say upfront that there are no established black and white rules when it comes to pay rates. Each modeling job is different, each client is different and budgets vary. Ultimately the factors that should influence what you charge should be the amount of experience you have, the strength of the images in your portfolio and the client's budget/needs. Not every client is going to pay what you want to charge. There may be times when you will be skipped over for charging too much or taken advantage of for charging too little. It's going to happen so be prepared for it and do not take it personally. It

Modeling and Weight

One of the first things I hear potential models ask is what the weight requirement for modeling is. Sometimes that is the main issue they worry about when it comes to pursuing modeling. Let me tell you right now that weight should NOT be one of those concerns. Obviously, the height requirement reigns supreme when measuring up to the modeling standards sought out by agencies. If you meet the height requirements--whether it's for fashion and runway or commercial/print--that is the first step towards starting on the path to modeling. How much you weigh shouldn't be your biggest fear. It is rare that anyone can look at someone and say, "Oh, my gosh, he/she looks like they are 5 pounds over our weight requirement!" It just isn't realistic. If you look at many modeling agency websites, they clearly list the age and height requirements--rarely, if at all do they list any weight restrictions. The general rule of thumb when it comes to weight is that for models who

What Are Male Models Supposed to Look Like?

The modeling world is filled with women. That's never been a secret and sadly, that often means male models fall by the wayside. There are successful male models in all categories across the industry but the fact that the modeling business revolves around women can make it challenging for newbies to figure out how to pursue their goals of male modeling. It is important to know that because there are different types of modeling categories out there, that means there are also different types of male models. They aren't all supposed to look alike and what ends up being in demand does change every year. Let's break down the common attributes that come with male modeling in various popular categories, shall we? THE MALE FASHION/RUNWAY/EDITORIAL MODEL These are the typical types of models most of us tend to think of when it comes to men in modeling. What is important to know and understand if you're an aspiring male model is that agencies have all different looks