Skip to main content

Love Your Art


Anything you do in life that really makes you happy, that you are really passionate about, is an art form to me. Once you get involved in something that you completely throw yourself into you feel it in your blood and in your soul.

Modeling for me is not something that I did because everyone else wanted to do it. I did not get involved in this industry because I had the media and reality shows to influence me. It was something I sort of fell into but it didn't take long for me to fall in love with my art.

I can only speak for myself but I'm sure other fellow models know what the adrenaline rush feels like when you get in front of the camera or appear in front of a crowd. Few things in the world get me more exhilarated than sitting in the makeup chair "putting on my face," stepping in front of the camera and turning my model persona "on."

With each "click" of the camera my mind is in overdrive. Not only because of the rush but because of the challenges I face: how can I bring out the best in these photos? What can I do differently...better than the last? How can I deliver so well that I blow the photographer and the client's mind away? These are the thoughts that drive me and I love every second of it.

The one thing that stands out for me is how lucky I am to be doing what I do. It doesn't matter to me that I'm not tall enough to walk the major runways...it doesn't faze me that I'm not tall enough to catch any uber designer's eye. I've learned long ago to stop comparing myself to the next model. Of course there is always going to be someone doing something bigger and better than what I'm working on. That's inevitable.

I often take time to look back on my career and reflect on the experiences I've had and while I'm not a household name (yet) I am damned proud to say that I've been to places and seen things and done things that a huge percentage of the public will never get a chance to lay hands on in their entire lifetime. And I definitely do not mean that in a snobbish way. I mean it in more of an appreciative way.

In spite of all I've accomplished, I still get those comments from people who swear up and down that I can't possibly be a model because I'm 5'4". I get such negativity from others who see what I do but still discredit it because commercial modeling isn't "real modeling."

As much as it burns me up inside to hear those comments, each time I step in front of a camera and hear that "click" of the shutter, I smile inside because how many people can do what I do? I love my art, I appreciate and enjoy my craft because it is raw, natural talent that allows me to continue on.

If you don't love your art and if you cannot be the best rated version of yourself (and not someone else), why do it at all?

Comments

giggleness said…
love your blog. =]

Popular posts from this blog

Modeling & Pay Rates: How Much Should You Charge?

(This post is more targeted towards freelance models and not those with agency representation, although it may apply to those that have an agent but continue to find their own work.) A part of being a successful model is making money from the jobs that you book. However, being a freelance model comes with many challenges--figuring out what you should charge is one of them. I will say upfront that there are no established black and white rules when it comes to pay rates. Each modeling job is different, each client is different and budgets vary. Ultimately the factors that should influence what you charge should be the amount of experience you have, the strength of the images in your portfolio and the client's budget/needs. Not every client is going to pay what you want to charge. There may be times when you will be skipped over for charging too much or taken advantage of for charging too little. It's going to happen so be prepared for it and do not take it personally. It

What Are Male Models Supposed to Look Like?

The modeling world is filled with women. That's never been a secret and sadly, that often means male models fall by the wayside. There are successful male models in all categories across the industry but the fact that the modeling business revolves around women can make it challenging for newbies to figure out how to pursue their goals of male modeling. It is important to know that because there are different types of modeling categories out there, that means there are also different types of male models. They aren't all supposed to look alike and what ends up being in demand does change every year. Let's break down the common attributes that come with male modeling in various popular categories, shall we? THE MALE FASHION/RUNWAY/EDITORIAL MODEL These are the typical types of models most of us tend to think of when it comes to men in modeling. What is important to know and understand if you're an aspiring male model is that agencies have all different looks

Modeling and Weight

One of the first things I hear potential models ask is what the weight requirement for modeling is. Sometimes that is the main issue they worry about when it comes to pursuing modeling. Let me tell you right now that weight should NOT be one of those concerns. Obviously, the height requirement reigns supreme when measuring up to the modeling standards sought out by agencies. If you meet the height requirements--whether it's for fashion and runway or commercial/print--that is the first step towards starting on the path to modeling. How much you weigh shouldn't be your biggest fear. It is rare that anyone can look at someone and say, "Oh, my gosh, he/she looks like they are 5 pounds over our weight requirement!" It just isn't realistic. If you look at many modeling agency websites, they clearly list the age and height requirements--rarely, if at all do they list any weight restrictions. The general rule of thumb when it comes to weight is that for models who