Skip to main content

Answering a Reader Question #160

Anonymous Wrote:


Hi. I'm a 15 year old Asian girl and I've wanted to start modeling for ages! I just think that this is the perfect job for me. But my parents think that becoming a model is no way to earn a living and survive in the real world, and that I should forget about modeling and focus on school and my education.
What I want to know is how can I get started with modeling and is it true that some girls just get discovered randomly like on the street (like Barbara palvin) on the beach (like abbey lee kershaw) and even in the super market (like behati prinsloo)?
Also, what are the real chances of becoming a successful model and how much do they earn? $$
Last thing, can I become a successful model even though I have stretch marks on my butt, pimples on my face and from my Chinese background? 


Hi, Anonymous! To answer your first question, at your age the best way to get started is to find a good and reputable modeling agency within a 2 hour's drive of where you live to get signed with. An agent will work to market you and find you paid modeling assignments. To find this information you can do an online search for modeling agencies according to the name of the city where you live. Look up the agency's websites for instructions on how to submit your photos and info.

The examples you named of the models that have been discovered randomly is the answer to your second question. There are some models that get scouted while out and about in their towns.

The chances of becoming a successful model is extremely slim and it is not an easy career to start and/or maintain. Only 1% of working models reach supermodel status so that should give you some idea of how competitive the industry is. The average model earns between $30,000 - $45,000 per year, which isn't that much, considering that's about the average salary of a person working a regular 9-5 job. In most situations, models often hold down part time or even full time jobs or are in school while also pursuing their modeling careers.

There are plenty of models who do not have perfect skin and have issues such as pimples and stretch marks. However, as long as your complexion is fairly clear you should be fine. There's nothing wrong with having occasional pimples from time to time but if it's an ongoing problem, then you'll want to take care of your skin first before submitting yourself to agencies. Because you're still young, you more than likely won't be showing a lot of skin to worry about your stretch marks on your butt. The main thing that will determine what type of modeling you can do is your height, which you didn't post in your question/comment. If you're 5'8" or taller, then you can do fashion/runway modeling. If you're 5'5"-5'7" then you'll be able to do commercial/print.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi!
I have a question. I'm a size 2 with 34-24-35 measurements (5'8 and growing still). But I was wondering if the fact that my stomach and thighs aren't exactly the most toned things would hinder me at all. Do you have any recommendations for exercises to tone those areas?
Anonymous said…
This blog is great. I'm just starting to pursue modeling. Many people have told me that I should be a model and I think that is primarily because I have a different look. I had a baby a year ago so I'm going through the process losing weight. Your blog is a real inspiration and I'm documenting the journey in my blog http://toyaisgoingtobeamodel.blogspot.com/ Good luck in all your success!
Samajo said…
Hey Dania,
I found your blog a few days ago and it's amazing thanks for all the great tips :)
I've always had an interest in modeling and many people have told me before that I could easily do it... so the other day i was "scouted" by a small agency here in Munich Germany and asked to come to a casting where they would be taking pictures of me for a sedcard and there would be a professional styling before hand. However the whole thing costs 40€ (57$) and I am only a high school student... is this really reliable and do i have any chances with such a small agency? Or should I try larger ones by myself by just sending photos of myself to them? They did say that they would take me straight up into their portfolio after the shoot. I'd really appreciate your opinion. Thanks so much. x
Btw I am a 16 year old girl and 175cm tall (5'9'')
Dania Denise said…
Hey, Samajo! You'll find the answer to your question in its own post, titled "Answering a Reader Question #162." Thanks for being a reader!
Dania Denise said…
Hi, Anonymous! You'll find the answer to your question in its own post, titled "Answering a Reader Question #163." Thanks for reading!
Ozzidazza said…
Hi Dania, I've just been reading through your blog and wanted to clarify about Abbey Lee Kershaw. I just wanted to talk up the huge opportunity that is presented by winning a prestige modeling competition.

Abbey wasn't 'discovered' on the beach (however she may have been scouted at some point like that, but this isn't what got her started). She actually got her start as a 16 yr old by winning the Girlfriend Magazine Model search in 2004. This is an annual model search competition that is Australia wide, run by Girlfriend magazine in conjunction with Chic Model Management. Winning this (or being one of the runner-ups) gets you signed by Chic in Sydney, with the winner also being picked up by Next in New York.

You will see that Abbey is still with Chic in Sydney and Next in New York! Major components of her success I would think.

This competition (and the equivalent Australian Dolly magazine competition) has discovered some remarkable talents over the years. Doing well in a competition of this level is a huge start in the industry (some have branched out to acting, DJ, etc). To date, some of these names may be recognizable:

- Miranda Kerr (Dolly Winner 1997)
- Alyssa Sutherland (GF Winner 1997)
- Jessica Gomes (GF Runner-up 1998)
- Gemma Sanderson (Dolly Runner-up 1998)
- Jessica Hart (Dolly winner 2000)
- Catherine McNeil (GF Winner 2003)
- Ruby Rose Langenheim (GF Runner-up 2003)
- Abbey Lee Kershar (GF Winner 2004)
- Samantha Harris (GF Runner-up 2004)
- Pania Rose (GF Runner-up 2004)
- Lucy Fry (GF Runner-up 2007)
- Jemma Baines (GF Winner 2010)

Sorry to be a bore. :) :) My daughter was runner-up in 2014 for GF hence my great interest in this particular topic! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Modeling & Pay Rates: How Much Should You Charge?

(This post is more targeted towards freelance models and not those with agency representation, although it may apply to those that have an agent but continue to find their own work.) A part of being a successful model is making money from the jobs that you book. However, being a freelance model comes with many challenges--figuring out what you should charge is one of them. I will say upfront that there are no established black and white rules when it comes to pay rates. Each modeling job is different, each client is different and budgets vary. Ultimately the factors that should influence what you charge should be the amount of experience you have, the strength of the images in your portfolio and the client's budget/needs. Not every client is going to pay what you want to charge. There may be times when you will be skipped over for charging too much or taken advantage of for charging too little. It's going to happen so be prepared for it and do not take it personally. It

What Are Male Models Supposed to Look Like?

The modeling world is filled with women. That's never been a secret and sadly, that often means male models fall by the wayside. There are successful male models in all categories across the industry but the fact that the modeling business revolves around women can make it challenging for newbies to figure out how to pursue their goals of male modeling. It is important to know that because there are different types of modeling categories out there, that means there are also different types of male models. They aren't all supposed to look alike and what ends up being in demand does change every year. Let's break down the common attributes that come with male modeling in various popular categories, shall we? THE MALE FASHION/RUNWAY/EDITORIAL MODEL These are the typical types of models most of us tend to think of when it comes to men in modeling. What is important to know and understand if you're an aspiring male model is that agencies have all different looks

Modeling and Weight

One of the first things I hear potential models ask is what the weight requirement for modeling is. Sometimes that is the main issue they worry about when it comes to pursuing modeling. Let me tell you right now that weight should NOT be one of those concerns. Obviously, the height requirement reigns supreme when measuring up to the modeling standards sought out by agencies. If you meet the height requirements--whether it's for fashion and runway or commercial/print--that is the first step towards starting on the path to modeling. How much you weigh shouldn't be your biggest fear. It is rare that anyone can look at someone and say, "Oh, my gosh, he/she looks like they are 5 pounds over our weight requirement!" It just isn't realistic. If you look at many modeling agency websites, they clearly list the age and height requirements--rarely, if at all do they list any weight restrictions. The general rule of thumb when it comes to weight is that for models who