Skip to main content

Why Stores Like Target, Walmart, Ross & TJ Maxx are a Model's Best Friend

The modeling world is full of fashionistas and people that wear nothing but name brands. However, I have no problem with admitting that I frequent stores like Target, Ross, TJ Maxx and Walmart all the time...I do so because it is a practical way for me to build my modeling wardrobe.

Below are some reasons why female and male models should consider these stores when it comes to putting together the right wardrobe for their modeling projects:

The Need for Supplemental Wardrobe: There will be shoots where you'll be asked to bring additional clothing options and accessories of your own. This is known as "supplemental wardrobe." Even if the shoot has a stylist with a bunch of wardrobe, bringing your own items gives them more options to choose from. If you're asked to bring your own clothes, this doesn't mean the project is "low standard" or not professional. I've done shoots for big name brand clients and was required to bring a few extra things. It's completely normal.

Keeps Your Clothing Neutral: Unless you're a hired spoksemodel, there's no need to flaunt brand names on your body like a billboard. When it comes to castings and shoots, 99.9% of the time, you'll be asked to wear clothes with no brand names, logos or other telltale images. Any wardrobe you plan on wearing to castings or shoots should be brand neutral. TJ Maxx, Target, Walmart and Ross are all stores that specialize in selling brand name clothing but without all of the advertising on it.

Easier to Mix/Match & Reuse: I'll be the first one to admit that I regularly recycle outfits for castings. If there is a casting that calls for me to wear a business type of outfit, I have two pairs of black slacks, a black skirt and about three tops that I'll mix and match and wear. What does it matter to me? I'm meeting different people each time so it's not like they're gonna know I wore that same outfit (or something similar) to another casting a few days ago, lol. Buying clothes from the stores mentioned above make it convenient to customize an outfit for a casting or shoot without worrying about going out and spending money on an entirely different look each time. That's such a costly method and not necessary by any means.

Wallet Friendly. It's no secret that shopping at any of these stores will get you more clothes and accessories in one trip compared to going to a pricey department or boutique store. There have been times when I've walked out of Ross with 3 pairs of pants, 5 tops, a new purse and shoes for $50 or less. Had I tried that same thing at a boutique or department store, I would have easily spent $100+ for 2-3 items. It pays to be practical!

Unless you're a super fashionista with a sharp eye, most people can't tell the difference when it comes to where I've purchased my clothes. Case and point: years ago I did a shoot and had to bring my own supplemental wardrobe, which included a nice dress. When I changed into the dress, one of the other models commented, "Oh, my God, I love your dress! Where did you get it? BCBG?" I smiled and answered back, "Ross for $12.99." The look on her face was priceless, especially since she was one of those types that only bought expensive designer brand stuff. That was a funny moment for sure! Is there anything wrong with wanting to spend lots of money on brand name stuff? Definitely not but I always favor the practical route when it comes to building my wardrobe for modeling purposes--mainly since I can't even wear the brand name stuff to my gigs. But hey, that's just my take on things. :-)

So remember, being a working model isn't about displaying the brands and dealing with hefty price tags...when it comes to castings and shoots, it's all about keeping it neutral and affordable. Trust me, your wallet will thank you!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Modeling & Pay Rates: How Much Should You Charge?

(This post is more targeted towards freelance models and not those with agency representation, although it may apply to those that have an agent but continue to find their own work.) A part of being a successful model is making money from the jobs that you book. However, being a freelance model comes with many challenges--figuring out what you should charge is one of them. I will say upfront that there are no established black and white rules when it comes to pay rates. Each modeling job is different, each client is different and budgets vary. Ultimately the factors that should influence what you charge should be the amount of experience you have, the strength of the images in your portfolio and the client's budget/needs. Not every client is going to pay what you want to charge. There may be times when you will be skipped over for charging too much or taken advantage of for charging too little. It's going to happen so be prepared for it and do not take it personally. It

What Are Male Models Supposed to Look Like?

The modeling world is filled with women. That's never been a secret and sadly, that often means male models fall by the wayside. There are successful male models in all categories across the industry but the fact that the modeling business revolves around women can make it challenging for newbies to figure out how to pursue their goals of male modeling. It is important to know that because there are different types of modeling categories out there, that means there are also different types of male models. They aren't all supposed to look alike and what ends up being in demand does change every year. Let's break down the common attributes that come with male modeling in various popular categories, shall we? THE MALE FASHION/RUNWAY/EDITORIAL MODEL These are the typical types of models most of us tend to think of when it comes to men in modeling. What is important to know and understand if you're an aspiring male model is that agencies have all different looks

Modeling and Weight

One of the first things I hear potential models ask is what the weight requirement for modeling is. Sometimes that is the main issue they worry about when it comes to pursuing modeling. Let me tell you right now that weight should NOT be one of those concerns. Obviously, the height requirement reigns supreme when measuring up to the modeling standards sought out by agencies. If you meet the height requirements--whether it's for fashion and runway or commercial/print--that is the first step towards starting on the path to modeling. How much you weigh shouldn't be your biggest fear. It is rare that anyone can look at someone and say, "Oh, my gosh, he/she looks like they are 5 pounds over our weight requirement!" It just isn't realistic. If you look at many modeling agency websites, they clearly list the age and height requirements--rarely, if at all do they list any weight restrictions. The general rule of thumb when it comes to weight is that for models who