Skip to main content

Modeling Scam Alert Update #2: Reporting the Scam

(Please refer to my other post "Modeling Scam Alert Update: They're Getting Smarter" to get caught up on what this latest update is all about.)

For the past two months I've been playing along with a modeling scam that has been a bit more "sophisticated" (I'm using that word VERY loosely) compared to the modeling scams I've come across in the past.

I realized that since these scammers are getting a bit smarter, it was even more important that I string them along to see what their operation was all about and hopefully get them shut down.

After a lot of back and forth emails and a supposed "Model Release Form," claiming they'll be hiring me for a photoshoot for a well known designer, a money order containing my "upfront/advanced payment" for my services arrived in the mail. I have no banking experience but I could tell right away that the money order from Citibank was a fake--heck, even a monkey could tell!

Not only did the money order itself look anything but official, the amount was wrong. According to the email the scammer sent, I was supposed to be paid $2,000 and the money order was in the amount of $4,000.

I'll say this again, my dear readers: NO LEGIT CLIENT IN THE MODELING INDUSTRY WOULD EVER SEND THIS AMOUNT OF MONEY UPFRONT TO ANY MODEL THEY HAVEN'T EVEN MET BEFORE!!! (Sorry for the yelling...I couldn't help myself.)

The first thing I did was go to the nearest Citibank in my area and asked to speak with the manager. I showed her the money order and the brief letter from the scammer that come with it. I also filled her in on the scam and how it operates. After speaking with her other supervisors, I was told they would be submitting the fake money order and letter to their investigations department so that an official inquiry could be made.

They thanked me profusely for reporting it and for being smart enough to not actually try and cash the money order. We sat around and laughed at the money order itself for a few minutes because of how ridiculous it was that anyone would think the piece of paper they sent me could be passed off as authentic.

The scammers have been emailing and calling me to find out whether or not I got the money because--and I quote: "We want to make sure the funds got to you safely and aren't in the wrong hands." Can you believe that garbage? These people have no conscience! I ignored the emails and sent them to voicemail. I thought about telling them that the money order was certified as being fake by the bank but I decided against it.

Now that an investigation is underway, the last thing I want to do is scare them off and make it more difficult for the authorities to locate these creeps. They've since stopped contacting me for now...I hope that they're under the impression that I'm no longer interested and will leave me alone and resume their operations using the same names and contact info so that the authorities will be able to track them down.

So I did my part and I hope the end results are that these guys get shut down and get the proper punishment they deserve. It may be a long shot but one can hope.

Comments

Unknown said…
Dania,

When I read this post I was shocked to realize how long it's been around and I actually know a few models who have fallen for this exact scam.

Great to see you writing about this as it plays into the hopes and dreams of new models and is unfortunately still around as it's proven to be successful.

Love your blog and look forward to chatting sometime soon!

JC
Anonymous said…
So glad you're trying to raise awareness of model scams, it happens so often yet the media turns a blind eye to it. I did find a website that provided loads of advice, modelscams.org.uk, which also led me to find two books, The Great Modelling Robbery and Shattered Dreams, Broken Promises which gave great advice on how I could still pursue my career as a model and to avoid any fake agencies/studios. Just something worth checking out for any potential models out there! I was scammed so feel it's my duty to make sure everyone else is protected too!

Popular posts from this blog

Modeling & Pay Rates: How Much Should You Charge?

(This post is more targeted towards freelance models and not those with agency representation, although it may apply to those that have an agent but continue to find their own work.) A part of being a successful model is making money from the jobs that you book. However, being a freelance model comes with many challenges--figuring out what you should charge is one of them. I will say upfront that there are no established black and white rules when it comes to pay rates. Each modeling job is different, each client is different and budgets vary. Ultimately the factors that should influence what you charge should be the amount of experience you have, the strength of the images in your portfolio and the client's budget/needs. Not every client is going to pay what you want to charge. There may be times when you will be skipped over for charging too much or taken advantage of for charging too little. It's going to happen so be prepared for it and do not take it personally. It

What Are Male Models Supposed to Look Like?

The modeling world is filled with women. That's never been a secret and sadly, that often means male models fall by the wayside. There are successful male models in all categories across the industry but the fact that the modeling business revolves around women can make it challenging for newbies to figure out how to pursue their goals of male modeling. It is important to know that because there are different types of modeling categories out there, that means there are also different types of male models. They aren't all supposed to look alike and what ends up being in demand does change every year. Let's break down the common attributes that come with male modeling in various popular categories, shall we? THE MALE FASHION/RUNWAY/EDITORIAL MODEL These are the typical types of models most of us tend to think of when it comes to men in modeling. What is important to know and understand if you're an aspiring male model is that agencies have all different looks

Modeling and Weight

One of the first things I hear potential models ask is what the weight requirement for modeling is. Sometimes that is the main issue they worry about when it comes to pursuing modeling. Let me tell you right now that weight should NOT be one of those concerns. Obviously, the height requirement reigns supreme when measuring up to the modeling standards sought out by agencies. If you meet the height requirements--whether it's for fashion and runway or commercial/print--that is the first step towards starting on the path to modeling. How much you weigh shouldn't be your biggest fear. It is rare that anyone can look at someone and say, "Oh, my gosh, he/she looks like they are 5 pounds over our weight requirement!" It just isn't realistic. If you look at many modeling agency websites, they clearly list the age and height requirements--rarely, if at all do they list any weight restrictions. The general rule of thumb when it comes to weight is that for models who