Skip to main content

Answering a Reader Question #322

Anonymous Wrote:


Hi dania, I'm in this person's position as well. all the agencies I've applied to have said they're too full for the category I qualify for. It's so frustrating, it's hard to not occupy my thoughts with modeling but I really want this but I feel that they don't want me. I'm a new freelance model but I'm just starting out and getting TF/CD shoots is difficult because some of the photographers on MM say they have no use for my look. I'm just frustrated because I'm eager to learn and get better. It's annoying because one agency I applied for they said they like my look but they have too many people in my category. I just don't know what to do. In the mean time I am looking for a day job I have bills to pay and I'm researching getting into acting as well. What can I do to occupy my time until someone gives me my big break??? 

Hi, Anonymous! Ugh, that's the worst position to be in for sure. While it's not fair to the model, it's purely a business decision by the agency so I hope you're not taking it personally. Having a look that is too in demand can sometimes backfire because, like your comment stated, it could result in agencies signing on too many models with the same "look."

You mentioned acting, which could actually help you out. Unlike modeling, where experience isn't mandatory to be successful starting out and/or getting signed to an agency, acting does require training and at least basic acting skills. I would recommend looking into local acting workshops to test the waters and see how you like it. If you do well and are serious about pursuing it, then you can revamp your approach and submit to "talent" agencies instead of modeling agencies. Talent agencies represent both models and actors and if you can get your foot in the door as a signed actor, that could leave the opening for pursuing modeling if your agency feels they can transition you over into that type of work as well. So see what acting opportunities you can get into to get experience and go from there.

Also unlike modeling, you'll need a professional actor headshot to submit to agencies so when looking for TF shoots, mention to the photographers that you're in need of photos for acting. This could make it easier to find photographers willing to work with you. In most cases you can use your actor's headshot for modeling, too, so you'd be able to kill two birds with one stone.

I hope that helps and good luck to you!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi dania i have a question. will you look at this models profile. i want to know what is so special about her look and what is so spectacular about her pictures that makes her marketable. to me her pics seem one dimensional like she's giving the same face in every picture .she was offered the modeling contract she didn't even have to struggle to get representation. which is very frustrating because i'm struggling for representation. can you tell me what she's doing that's great or what she's doing that i'm not doing so i can further my career. here's her link:http://209.166.208.185/mmg/compcard/Full.cfm?mid=93606&image=499700&name=Anna%20Sundstrand%20%28Pop%20Artist%29
Dania Denise said…
Hi, Anonymous! You'll find the answer to your question in its own post, titled "Answering a Reader Question #324." Thanks for reading!

Popular posts from this blog

Modeling & Pay Rates: How Much Should You Charge?

(This post is more targeted towards freelance models and not those with agency representation, although it may apply to those that have an agent but continue to find their own work.) A part of being a successful model is making money from the jobs that you book. However, being a freelance model comes with many challenges--figuring out what you should charge is one of them. I will say upfront that there are no established black and white rules when it comes to pay rates. Each modeling job is different, each client is different and budgets vary. Ultimately the factors that should influence what you charge should be the amount of experience you have, the strength of the images in your portfolio and the client's budget/needs. Not every client is going to pay what you want to charge. There may be times when you will be skipped over for charging too much or taken advantage of for charging too little. It's going to happen so be prepared for it and do not take it personally. It

What Are Male Models Supposed to Look Like?

The modeling world is filled with women. That's never been a secret and sadly, that often means male models fall by the wayside. There are successful male models in all categories across the industry but the fact that the modeling business revolves around women can make it challenging for newbies to figure out how to pursue their goals of male modeling. It is important to know that because there are different types of modeling categories out there, that means there are also different types of male models. They aren't all supposed to look alike and what ends up being in demand does change every year. Let's break down the common attributes that come with male modeling in various popular categories, shall we? THE MALE FASHION/RUNWAY/EDITORIAL MODEL These are the typical types of models most of us tend to think of when it comes to men in modeling. What is important to know and understand if you're an aspiring male model is that agencies have all different looks

Modeling and Weight

One of the first things I hear potential models ask is what the weight requirement for modeling is. Sometimes that is the main issue they worry about when it comes to pursuing modeling. Let me tell you right now that weight should NOT be one of those concerns. Obviously, the height requirement reigns supreme when measuring up to the modeling standards sought out by agencies. If you meet the height requirements--whether it's for fashion and runway or commercial/print--that is the first step towards starting on the path to modeling. How much you weigh shouldn't be your biggest fear. It is rare that anyone can look at someone and say, "Oh, my gosh, he/she looks like they are 5 pounds over our weight requirement!" It just isn't realistic. If you look at many modeling agency websites, they clearly list the age and height requirements--rarely, if at all do they list any weight restrictions. The general rule of thumb when it comes to weight is that for models who