Skip to main content

Latest Gig: Salon Blu Hair & Fashion Show Part II - The Outfits & The Show

For the Cocoa Jeans segment, I got to wear light colored jeans, black heels and a black Cocoa Jeans midriff shirt. For The Constance Label segment I got a very sexy black, baby doll dress that was super short, sleeveless and had a mesh/see-through section that ran down the middle of my chest (thank goodness for double-sided tape!).

The Von Gutenberg outfit was insanely cool, especially since I had never worn latex clothing before. Because the latex material is so skin tight, we were not allowed to wear any underwear. That meant the chosen 6-7 models for the segment had to get in the nude and have our bodies oiled by a female helper. Erik Von Gutenberg himself helped each of us climb into our outfits. For my outfit, it took nearly 30 minutes from start to finish!

After securing me in my full body, turquoise bodysuit, he helped me climb into the black, lace up boots, which had a 5-6 inch heel. The black latex gloves finished off the look. I took some time to get my makeup redone, which consisted of adding more color to my eyes and getting red, glitter lip color. They also added a special veil that was made of braided, synthetic hair. Afterwards, I practiced walking in the insanely high boots and prayed that I didn't fall and break my ankle (one girl took a tumble backstage but thankfully she was okay). We were told to take our time while walking, which was fine with me!

Because the fashion show took place in the salon, there was no stage. Instead they laid out a red carpet along the floor, to form a T, with the top left part of the T leading into one room and the top right part leading into another room on the other side. It was standing room only for the audience and there were tons of photographer stationed at the top, middle of the T as well as in the adjacent rooms.

The choreography was fairly simple: walk the length of the T until we reached the middle. Stop and pose for the first group of photogs, then walk off to the left into the other room up to the end of the red carpet. Then pose for the photogs in that room, then walk back, pass the middle spot and continue into the room on the opposite side, stop and pose, then go back to the middle of the T, pose one last time, then head back up the length of the T and go backstage.

It was such an adrenaline rush to be in front of so many photographers at each stopping point. There were so many flashbulbs going off that it was truly a paparazzi moment. My outfit during the Von Gutenberg segment was a huge hit and one of the audience's favorites.

After the show, there was a mixer/networking event and I was able to introduce myself to some of the photographers afterwards. One of the contacts I made is the designer for high end watches and he has recruited me to do an editorial shoot for his latest line of watches. He showed me the previous shoots they have done and they are truly amazing in quality--not to mention he also has celebrities that endorse his watches, including Adrianne Curry, Shemar Moore and an NFL player (can't remember his name).

That shoot is either going to take place in the last week of December or mid-January. The second contact I made was with a local beauty/editorial photographer who wants to do an extreme hair and makeup theme with me. When I told him that I was normally a commercial/print model, he just about fainted LOL. I couldn't believe it when he told me that I could pull off high fashion looks just as well as the next tall, industry standard model. It was definitely a compliment that made my night.

I had a great time and hope to work with Salon Blu and the other designers in the near future, should they be in need of models for other events. While the show itself went by like a blur, I have a lot of great memories...and pictures! I'm also looking forward to the opportunities that will come up as a result of being a part of the show.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Modeling & Pay Rates: How Much Should You Charge?

(This post is more targeted towards freelance models and not those with agency representation, although it may apply to those that have an agent but continue to find their own work.) A part of being a successful model is making money from the jobs that you book. However, being a freelance model comes with many challenges--figuring out what you should charge is one of them. I will say upfront that there are no established black and white rules when it comes to pay rates. Each modeling job is different, each client is different and budgets vary. Ultimately the factors that should influence what you charge should be the amount of experience you have, the strength of the images in your portfolio and the client's budget/needs. Not every client is going to pay what you want to charge. There may be times when you will be skipped over for charging too much or taken advantage of for charging too little. It's going to happen so be prepared for it and do not take it personally. It

Modeling and Weight

One of the first things I hear potential models ask is what the weight requirement for modeling is. Sometimes that is the main issue they worry about when it comes to pursuing modeling. Let me tell you right now that weight should NOT be one of those concerns. Obviously, the height requirement reigns supreme when measuring up to the modeling standards sought out by agencies. If you meet the height requirements--whether it's for fashion and runway or commercial/print--that is the first step towards starting on the path to modeling. How much you weigh shouldn't be your biggest fear. It is rare that anyone can look at someone and say, "Oh, my gosh, he/she looks like they are 5 pounds over our weight requirement!" It just isn't realistic. If you look at many modeling agency websites, they clearly list the age and height requirements--rarely, if at all do they list any weight restrictions. The general rule of thumb when it comes to weight is that for models who

What Are Male Models Supposed to Look Like?

The modeling world is filled with women. That's never been a secret and sadly, that often means male models fall by the wayside. There are successful male models in all categories across the industry but the fact that the modeling business revolves around women can make it challenging for newbies to figure out how to pursue their goals of male modeling. It is important to know that because there are different types of modeling categories out there, that means there are also different types of male models. They aren't all supposed to look alike and what ends up being in demand does change every year. Let's break down the common attributes that come with male modeling in various popular categories, shall we? THE MALE FASHION/RUNWAY/EDITORIAL MODEL These are the typical types of models most of us tend to think of when it comes to men in modeling. What is important to know and understand if you're an aspiring male model is that agencies have all different looks