- About a Model's Diary: How It All Began
- Dania Denise Resume
- What This Blog is For
- Working with Dania Denise
- Mentoring, Coaching & Consultation Services
- The New "Answering a Reader Question" Series...Video Reply Version!!!
- Modeling 101 Blog FAQ
- Where Do You Start in Modeling?
- How Modeling 101 Helped Me
- Guide to Modeling 101 Labels/Category Section
WELCOME TO MODELING 101!!!
There is more to the modeling world than the media lets on. If you want to find out what it really takes and how to manage your modeling career, then you've come to the right place! This blog is dedicated to the aspiring and already established models who live to defy the standards and stereotypes in order to make a place for themselves in this crazy industry.
Saturday, January 21, 2012
Answering a Reader Question #295
Hello Dania! I LOVE your blog! I've been reading all your posts so far and I learned many many things, thank you so much!
So here is my question:
How do you actually get to walk for well known brands like Versace, Chanel, Armani ect.. I mean there are SO many models which are with a good Modelling agency like IMG, Elite ect, but only very few girls of them get to walk for those brands. What do they actually do to get noticed by them? Connections? Luck?
Hello, Enovy! I LOVE that you LOVE my blog...and you are so welcome! :-D
When it comes to situations like the ones you mentioned, the following are some of the main factors that allow some models to get these types of opportunities over others:
- Agency: A model's agency is their direct "connection" to such brands. If the agency a model is signed with regularly works with those brands as a client there is already an established working relationship. This means they usually get first dibs on notifications anytime a particular big brand is looking for new catwalk models for their shows. Additionally, if an agency has a new model and they feel a certain brand would love him/her, they'll use their connections to contact the brand/designer and let them know of the "new kid" that they should check out.
- The Designer: A common "tale" in the modeling industry is one where a designer will fall in love with a particular model's look. Oftentimes, what gets some models at huge agencies to participate in huge shows for designers over the other models from the same agency is the "love connection" that happens when a designer sees something in a certain model that they really like. It's that "IT" factor for them, which could be their face and/or build/body type. In that sense, it does take a bit of "luck" to draw a designer to you so much that they are eager to use you in their shows because they know you'll showcase the clothing well.
- Reputation/Track Record: It's a lot easier for established models at big agencies to draw designers/brands to them because their face has been plastered everywhere, like major magazines, editorials, billboards, etc. Because these models have experience, it makes the brands/designers confident that they'll know how to represent their brand well in a show and won't have to worry about holding their hand through the entire process.
- A Good Performance at the Casting: While some brands already know which models they want to use in their shows, they will still hold castings to find new faces. The agencies send their girls/guys and like anyone else, they "audition" for the brands/designers by doing a runway walk for them. Models that have a strong walk, the right body type for that particular brand/designer, great personality and overall physical "look" are the ones that get hired.